A powerful air purifier will not only remove dust but also pet odors, dust allergies, and every weird odor that come with running a home. In addition, the best air purifier for dust removal will help circulate clean air free of allergens such as mold spores, pollen, wildfire smoke, and other kinds of smoke. But to qualify as great, the air purifier should be powerful enough to clean the air in the whole room, dark and quiet enough to sleep near it in the bedroom, and reasonably priced enough to have several of them spread throughout the house.
We all know it's essential to clean the house regularly, but we often overlook the air beyond the surface. Using dust air purifiers helps ensure that the air you breathe is clean and free of dust particles, but again, like us, not all dust air purifiers are created equal.
For sufferers of the seasonal allergies, air purifiers can make a big difference since you can filter out airborne pollutants that make you sneeze all over. These include dust particles, pet dander, pet hair, pet odor, smoke particulates, pollen, and mold spores. Other than having a massive impact on the quality of life, the best air purifiers are the best way to remove virus particles from the air, which is on more people's radar due to the recent COVID-19.
- Do Air Purifiers Really Work?
- Understanding the Air Purifier Jargon
- What air purifiers are best for dust removal?
- 1. Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier
- 2. Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
- 3. LEVOIT Air Purifiers for Home, H13 True HEPA Filter
- 4. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
- 5. Blueair Blue Pure 311 Auto Medium Room Air Purifier
- 6. LEVOIT Core 400S Air Purifier
- 7. Coway Airmega 400 Smart Air Purifier
- 8. VEVA Air Purifier Large Room - ProHEPA 9000 Premium Air Purifier
- What to Consider for the Best Air Purifier for Dust Removal?
- Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Air Purifier for Dust Removal
Do Air Purifiers Really Work?
Short answer, yes and no. These machines will use filters and fans to remove the particles in the air and circulate the purified air back. Generally, air purifiers work well in removing particles in the air. Still, their ability to remove gases (such as those from cleaning products and paint) and viruses depend on how effective they are.
Their efficiency, however, is pegged on a lot of other factors, and real-life situations aren't perfectly mimicked in the controlled conditions of a lab. So, in essence, that means it can be a little challenging to measure how effective the air purifier actually is in your home pegged on that alone.
Understanding the Air Purifier Jargon
While shopping for the best air purifiers, you'll encounter a lot of jargon that can be confusing but will be crucial as you try to figure out how effective and what purifier is suitable for your home.
a) Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR)
The CADR is an indication of two things. First, it lets you know how fast the air purifier can eliminate dust and circulate out fresh air by volume. Second, the higher the CADR is, the better.
This rating comes with 3 additional numbers to represent each primary pollutant: pollen, dust, and smoke. These numbers indicate the number of dust and pollutants that are replaced by clean air in cubic feet.
b) Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM)
AHAM specifically tests the air purifiers' efficiency at removing dust. But don't give up on the air purifier you have your eye on if it's not tested by AHAM. It's not so much of a requirement, but it does give you the information you need to help you make a more informed purchase.
The downside to AHAM testing is that the tests take place in a controlled environment. There are no surfaces collecting dust, no pets that irritate allergies, and no people walking around, so to compensate for this, choose an air purifier that can service a larger room than what you have.
c) Air Changes per Hour (ACH)
ACH is the rate by which the air purifier filters out indoor air pollutants and changes the air quality in the room. This number is shown with an x and a number that follows it. For instance, an air purifier with an ACH of x3 means that every 20 minutes, the air in the room filters out.
What air purifiers are best for dust removal?
Buy on Amazon
To improve air quality in a large room, you will need a higher ACH.
1. Coway AP-1512HH Mighty Air Purifier
- [Coverage] Designed to clean spaces up to 361 sq. ft. in 12.5 minutes...
- [HyperCaptive Filtration System] Combination of a pre-filter,...
- [Auto Mode] Constantly monitoring the air quality, the fan...
- [Eco Mdoe] When the air quality in the room remains purified for 30...
- [3-Stage Manual Fan Speed] Control your AP-1512HH's fan manually with...
In some recent tests, the Coway AP-1512HH Mighty reduced the heavy smoke pollution in a 1,215-cubic-foot New York office by 99.6% within 30 minutes. So imagine what it can do in your bedroom. The Coway AP-1512HH Mighty ranks high as the best overall air purifier and comes in a compact form that's quiet in operation, and that can shut off its lights, making it well suited for your bedroom.
It's a fan favorite for everyone who's trying to remove dust and fine particles in the air around them. It comes with many features that include its 4-step filtration process to ensure that nothing harmful stands a chance. It also includes a deodorizer, which is a great plus, especially for animal lovers.
The Coway AP-1512HH Mighty HEPA air cleaner is AHAM-tested with a CADR rating of Dust 246 / Pollen 240 / Smoke 233. The certified room size is up to 261 square feet. It also comes with a LED system with an indicator light that comes in handy to remind you when it's time to switch or clean the air filters. The lights also inform you of how clean or dirty your indoor air really is.
The unit may look like it's ready to plug in and go when it arrives, but you'll need to open the device since the filters inside are wrapped in plastic. Unfortunately, this could actually damage it if you don't do that. The Coway is a little on the pricier side of air purifiers, but it's a great option if you have a small room and need a unit that blends in with your decor.
2. Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier
- SIMPLE ONE-BUTTON CONTROL: Easily adjust fan as-needed with one...
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair's HEPASilent technology, delivers clean...
- ONE OF THE QUIESTEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (31 dB) than whisper on...
- COMBAT ALLERGENS: Helps reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger...
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES DOWN TO 0.1 MICRON: Ideal for smoke & smog...
Overall, Blueair is the best air purifier for dust removal in large rooms. It looks great and runs fairly quietly, and most importantly, it cleans large rooms efficiently, unlike other air purifiers. The Blue Pure 211+ weighs roughly 13 pounds and comes with a simple interface that has a touch-sensitive button to let you set it either to a low, medium, high or off.
This air purifier comes with a machine-washable fabric pre-filter that's available in different colors. This pre-filter is the first line of defense that takes care of large contaminants, including hair, lint, or dust. It's easy to clean since you can use either vacuum or hand-wash it. However, it is recommended that you wash it occasionally.
Although it'd be nice to have a setting to automatically responds to the air quality, Blueair has heavily invested where it matters most; the cleaning process. The particulate matter pleated filter is 46 square feet and made using Polypropylene (the same material used to make a HEPA air filter.
It also ranks high as one of the quietest air purifiers with an electrostatic method Blueair's HEPA Silent™ technology capture 99.97% of particles in the air with a 0.1-micron size making it one of the best air purifiers for large rooms. At this rate, it can capture most of the airborne particles in the household, such as airborne bacteria, dust, mold spores, dust mites, smoke particles, and any viruses that are at least 0.1 microns in size.
The electrostatic method HEPA Silent™air filtration process doesn't produce any traceable amount of ozone, and this purifier is also CARB certified. Its activated carbon mesh filter can filter out household odors, smoke odors, VOCs, smog, and airborne chemicals. Under the CADR, it is certified to clean 350 cubic feet per minute (cfm). This purifier can clean a 525 sq ft room 5 times an hour, and this much power is pretty impressive for its price tag.
3. LEVOIT Air Purifiers for Home, H13 True HEPA Filter
- OZONE-FREE FILTRATION: Safe is top priority UV-C light purification...
- SAY GOODBYE TO POLLUTED AIR: Have you ever seen what comes out of your...
- BEST-SELLING BRAND: Brand in the US, LV-H132 has been chosen by...
- Official Levoit Filters: Search for B06XD7X81D or LV-H132-RF to find...
- ALWAYS HIGH-QUALITY: Everyone deserves to feel refreshed and safe at...
Of all the effective air purifiers for dust removal, the Levoit LV-H132 is the best option for people living in small apartments or college students with small to medium-sized rooms. It uses its 3-step filtration system that includes a HEPA filter and a high-efficiency activated carbon filter to target dust, dust mites, dirt, pollen, mold, allergens, and more when air passes. If you seasonally suffer from allergies, then this is an ideal option for you.
The Levoit LV-H132 is small enough to fit in most places, so you could place it on the coffee table, and it still wouldn't look out of place. In addition, it could also serve as a night light when you ever need to snack dead in the night; this air purifier will light your way. Overall, it's affordable and quite effective.
4. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne pollutants; dust mites,...
- Washable AOC Carbon Filter, made from activated carbon granulars for...
- PlasmaWave acts as a permanent filter to safely break down odor,...
- Smart Sensors gauge the air and our Auto Mode adjusts the fan to...
- CADR rated for 360 square feet room size. Suitable for medium and...
The amazing thing about the Winix 5500-2 is its value as an affordable air purifier that doesn't sacrifice its useful features. The Winix 5500-2 air purifier consists of a true HEPA filter, AOC carbon filter, and a PlasmaWave to eliminate household odors, dust, dirt, dust mites, allergens. In addition, the AOC carbon filter is washable, so you won't have to dispose of it, making it environmentally safe.
Not all air purifiers come with a sleep mode, but the Winix 5500-2 air purifier takes things up a notch. Its sleep mode automatically senses its night using the amount of light and then adjusts its fan speed and light indicator brightness.
Its light indicators show you the filtration status, which comes in handy. Overall, it is versatile and gives you great value to help you ease of allergies.
5. Blueair Blue Pure 311 Auto Medium Room Air Purifier
- AUTO ADJUSTS SO YOU CAN REST EASY: One touch auto mode uses a particle...
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair’s HEPASilent dual filtration delivers...
- ONE OF THE QUIETEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (23 dB) than whisper on...
- ASTHMA & ALLERGY: Removes 99.99% of pollen, helping reduce allergens...
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES DOWN TO 0.1 MICRON: Ideal for smoke & smog...
The Blueair 311 Auto uses a 3 stage mechanical filtration system that includes the pre-filter, particle, and carbon filter. Its fabric pre-filter is the first line of defense since it traps large particles such as lint, dust, hair, dust mites, and pet fur. Besides catching the large particles in the air, it also extends the life of the primary filter.
Next, the combined Particle and activated Carbon filter that's made from coconut shell help neutralize Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), smoke, and household odors. The primary particle filter removes airborne pollutants such as pet dander, pollen, ultra-fine dust, and mold spores.
But the HEPA Silent technology is the big secret behind its superior performance. Since the traditional HEPA filters are much denser, and these purifiers can push air to trap the small, medium, and large-sized particles. In addition, the filtration process is further boosted using the Electrostatic Precipitator Filtration or ESP.
It comes with a CADR of Pollen 250 cfm/ Dust 244 cfm/ and Smoke 250 cfm. It is perfect for medium-sized rooms and can clean up to 375 square feet, with 5 air changes per hour. The energy consumption rating is at 3-35W and comes with a one-touch mode that automatically adjusts the fan speed based on real-time data that it collects using the particle sensor.
6. LEVOIT Core 400S Air Purifier
- LARGE COVERAGE: The top-performing Levoit Core 400S Smart True HEPA...
- 3-STAGE FILTRATION: Filtration includes a Pre-Filter, H13 True HEPA...
- WHISPER-LEVEL QUIET: Keep the Core 400S running throughout the night,...
- COMBAT ALLERGIES AND ASTHMA: Powerful air purification during allergy...
- VIEW AIR QUALITY: The laser dust sensor scans the surrounding air for...
The Levoit Core 400S is the newest best air filter in the smart air purifier block. It's Wi-Fi-enabled to connect to your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network, therefore, letting you control it remotely using the VeSync app. The VeSync application is compatible with both iOS and Android devices. Among other great things, it checks the air quality history in real-time and lets you voice control the air purifier using Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
It comes with a superior filtration performance and a 3-stage composite filtration system; the pre-filter, premium H13 True HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter. The first stage in the process captures fibers, lint, pet dander, dust, pet fur, hair, while the H13 True HEPA and Laser Dust Sensor filter captures airborne particles that are as small as 0.3 microns in size with a 99.97% efficiency.
This includes particles such as fine dust and allergens. Lastly, an activated carbon filter absorbs odor, fumes, and smoke. To effectively absorb pets and cooking odors, Levoit adds an ARC Formula that extends the life of its filter. It works in 2 automatic modes; Quiet auto mode and Efficient auto mode.
7. Coway Airmega 400 Smart Air Purifier
- [Coverage] Designed to clean spaces up to 1,560 sq. ft. in 30 minutes
- [HyperCaptive Filtration System] Dynamic combination of a washable...
- [Smart Mode] With its Smart Mode feature, the Airmega automatically...
- [Eco Mdoe] When the air quality in the room remains purified for 30...
- [Sleep Mode] When the Airmega's built-in light and pollution sensors...
At 24,960 cubic feet/ hour, here's a better way to clean the air in a 28 x 28- foot room with an 8-foot ceiling 4 times an hour. Unlike other purifiers on the market, the Airmega 400 does a great job of cleaning up the air in an insanely quiet way that a lot of people have said is much quieter than a computer. With its fan on the highest speed, the sound meter is at 55 decibels, which is still lower than your average conversation sound.
Its washable pre-filter and a Max2 filter set features a True HEPA filter and an activated carbon component. When the pollution sensor automatically recognizes irritants in the air, the LED changes from blue (good) to red (unhealthy), and the fan ramps up.
It comes with a filter indicator that lets you know when it's time to clean out the pre-filters, which is roughly after every 2 weeks depending on the level of pollution in your home. At 66 W it is Energy Star-certified and also comes with a timer that you can use to set the air purifier to turn off either 1, 4, or 8 hours.
8. VEVA Air Purifier Large Room - ProHEPA 9000 Premium Air Purifier
- Our high-quality, medical-grade air purifier for home use captures...
- Built with advanced 4-in-1 technology, our HEPA filter air purifier...
- Ideal for households with pets, smokers, or lots of cooking, our air...
- Our HEPA air purifier does not produce trace amounts of ozone, making...
- Sleek and stylish, our decor-friendly air purifier with washable...
Experts recommended that it's used in spaces that are up to 600 square feet. The VEVA ProHEPA 9000 Air Purifier is incredibly affordable and a great option for larger spaces. It uses 3 filters in the filtration process that includes the microparticle and activated carbon filter. These also help to extend the HEPA filter's life and filter out other vaporized pollutants even better.
It comes with an H13 premium medical-grade HEPA filter that effectively traps all the nasty things in the air for the best air possible. Unlike other air purifiers, the VEVA air purifier doesn't use UV lights or ions.
What to Consider for the Best Air Purifier for Dust Removal?
A) What is Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR)?
When buying an air purifier, multiply the CADR given by 1.55 to get the size in square feet that the dust air purifier can accommodate at its highest fan setting. This is a great way to determine a good air purifier for your home.
B) What is the Certified Room Size (CRS)?
Typically, most air cleaners will list the certified room size. The CRS is what the purifier can circulate on its highest setting. CRS is a great reference point if you don't have a CADR.
C) What Type of Filtration System?
Filtration systems come in 5 types: High-Efficiency Particulate Air Filter (HEPA), UV Lamp, Ionic, Carbon Filter, and Ozone Generators. HEPA filters being the best option to use when getting rid of dust particles and dust mites since they remove 99.97% of airborne particles.
D) What Size?
Different types of air purifiers come in different sizes and shapes. Always consider where in the room you want to place it to filter.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Air Purifier for Dust Removal
1. What causes all the dust in the house?
Dust accumulation in the house mainly gathers from the dirt from shoes, pet paws, and particles that settle on the carpet fibers. To help clean the air in the house, consider using a high-quality model with a High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter that's designed to trap as much as 99% of dust and debris.
In recent times, some air purifier brand manufacturers have implied, or outrightly claimed, that their air purifiers could shield you from the coronavirus. However, the CDC does put out that using great quality HEPA air purifiers supplementing good ventilation indoors does put you in a better position. In addition, tests by the CDC concluded that the best air purifiers are most effective when close to the infected person, but it's a little hard to know who this is in real life.
It further suggests that, other than using a HEPA air purifier to supplement the building's indoor air quality, other preventative measures such as wearing face masks in public indoor places should be observed. The coronavirus particle is 0.01 micron at the lower end of the filter's range, so it might not be 100% effective in a single pass. Still, with a long enough exposure to the UV light, it can disable some of the viruses that include the COVID-19.
3. How often should one dust the house?
To avoid dust accumulation, it is recommended that you do some dusting at home at least once per month in the easy-to-reach areas and once every 3-6 months for the hard-to-reach areas such as corners, ceilings, door frames, and the high shelves.