If you love creating art with the best epoxy resin, you understand the difference it makes when decorating your tumblers. As drinkware you are likely to use so often, you need the best epoxy for tumblers.
Now, you may wonder what difference it makes from other epoxy resins you use for other creations. To break it down a bit, you need to answer these main questions before getting your epoxy resin for tumblers;
- Is the epoxy resin healthy for drinkware?
- Is the epoxy easy to work with?
- Is it durable when fully cured?
If you need a few bottles that answer these three questions, this article is for you. We will share five great resins to use in making the best epoxy tumblers. Shared in no particular order, you will learn why they are best and why you might need to avoid them.
1. Envirotex Lite Epoxy Resin
- High Gloss 2 Component Polymer Coating
- 1 Coat Equals Up To 50 Coats Of Varnish
- Require Shipping Of Gallon Envirotex In Full Case Original Cartons
- Preserves and beautifies
- Solvent free formula
If you need an easy-to-use epoxy resin, this product is your best buy. It is a pour-on resin you can use for your tumblers as it is also FDA-compliant according to the manufacturer's safety data sheet. However, as with all art projects, it will be best to leave the top rim of the tumbler uncovered for safer drinking.
You will get a high gloss finish which starts curing in eight hours. If you expose the tumbler temperatures of about 70°F, the gloss will fully cure after 48 hours.
One worry you might have about the best epoxy for tumblers is how durable they are. You need one that will last long even when exposed to sunlight or high temperatures. While all epoxy resins for tumblers will yellow with time, one like this Envirotex Lite resin will last longer so you can proudly present your tumblers.
According to the manufacturer, this epoxy resin is also heat-resistant and has a low odor. Odor and volatility are other features you should pay attention to when buying. In addition, the best epoxy resins need to be VOC-free, which means you can safely use the resin indoors without risking your health.
2. Art 'N Glow Clear Casting and Coating Epoxy Resin
- Use our clear epoxy resin for all of your casting AND coating...
- Rigorous testing was done to ensure that our resin is a perfect match...
- Our resin is self leveling, self degassing, odor free, resistant to...
- One to one mix ratio is fool proof and has a forgiving 40 minute work...
- Use to coat tables and bars, encapsulate objects, cast figurines and...
This epoxy resin is your best buy as a beginner with tumblers to design. It is an odor-free casting resin that hardens perfectly after curing.
Additionally, it is a self-leveling and self-degassing resin that also offers excellent UV resistance. In addition, when you are buying epoxy resin, you need a product that is forgiving for your beginner skills. This product allows you to work on your tumbler for up to 40 minutes before it starts curing.
The non-flammable epoxy resin is your best bet for making amazing clear cast epoxy tumblers. The package comes with two bottles, one with the epoxy resin and another with the hardener. You will mix the two ingredients in a 1:1 ratio in your epoxy cup for your accurate decoration needs and stir for up to five minutes for the best mixture.
It is best to leave the tumblers for 72 hours before using them, especially with hot beverages. It is an affordable epoxy resin that is made in the USA and is BPA and VOC-free. It is easy to apply, and you can keep adding an extra epoxy layer until you are satisfied.
3. Stone Coat Art Coat Epoxy Resin Kit
- FULLY COLORABLE – Art Coat epoxy is compatible with Metallics, Mica...
- EXTENDED WORKING TIME – With a working time of 50 – 90 minutes,...
- ADDED UV INHIBITORS FOR MAXIMUM UV RESISTANCE – Art Coat is the most...
- ZERO VOCs – No VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) means our epoxy...
- FOOD SAFE – Art epoxy is food safe for incidental contact, meaning...
If you are a professional crafter, you will appreciate the diversity offered by this best epoxy resin. It is ideal for tumblers, jewelry, photos, wood, and paintings, among other epoxy projects.
It is a good epoxy resin for tumblers that comes in two bottles; one for the resin and another for the hardener. Therefore, it is easy to prepare by just mixing one part resin and one part hardener.
Also easy to apply to your tumblers, this epoxy resin allows a long working time of up to 90 minutes and fully cures within 72 hours. Unlike other epoxy resins, this one has better UV inhibitors you will find on the market, therefore guaranteeing longer-lasting epoxy tumblers.
It also allows you to work with different art products like acrylics and glitter. When you need the best epoxy for tumblers, you need a product that also guarantees your safety. This epoxy resin is USDA-approved as it contains no harsh chemicals. It is also VOC-free food safe.
4. Pro Marine ProArt Resin Kit for Glitter Tumblers
- 👌 A PERFECT CHOICE: Whether you’re a professional artist or you...
- 🥽 SAFETY COMES FIRST: This art resin epoxy clear is made with...
- 🌟 INTENSE SHINE: Unlike similar products on the market, this art...
- 😊 EASY TO USE: This resin has a convenient 1:1 ratio and a perfect...
- 🎨 VERSATILE & MULTIPURPOSE: Use this art glow epoxy resin for all...
This Epoxy resin is best for resin artists looking to design the best glitter tumblers without too much work. It is also great for other resign projects you can think of; all you need to learn are resin basics about mixing and applying.
It is a high-gloss, crystal clear finish, and self-leveling formula that also boasts a protective UV-resistant coat. This best resin is easy to use with a mix ratio of 1:1 for the resin and hardener and mixing thoroughly before pouring on your tumbler.
While you can expect it to be completely cured within 72 hours, the VOC-free resin is also odorless and non-flammable. So when you want to design the best glitter tumbler, this resin allows you to mix it with any liquid pigment for the best results. It is a food-safe formula you can buy affordably in different quantities.
5. DR CRAFTY Crystal Clear Art Resin
- Perfect for any application - the Dr Crafty epoxy resin kit is ideal...
- Everything you need included - our art resin kit comes with bonus...
- Easy to use - straightforward and no confusion, just mix one part...
- Read the manual carefully - Please read the instruction manual...
This resin plus hardener package comes with everything you need to get your projects going. You can get it in two quantity options; either half a gallon or a full gallon. Additionally, it also comes with two measuring cups, two mixing sticks, and a plastic spreader, so you don't have to use your fingers or a popsicle stick when applying.
Additionally, it will prevent yellowing from UV exposure and is also moisture resistant for the best results. To apply, you will need to mix equal quantities for a good formula that sticks to plastic tumblers, metal tumblers, and ceramic tumblers.
The formula is easy to apply and also cures very fast. However, if you need to design colorful tumblers, add the colors sparingly not to affect the curing process. It is a food-safe epoxy resin with a low odor and is safe to use indoors.
Which are the Most Important Features of the Best Epoxy for Tumblers?
Your best epoxy resin for tumblers needs to adhere to several safety and application requirements. Look for a product that is;
a) Food Safe
It means that the ingredients used to make the resin will not be risking your health. However, it is best practice not to apply the resin to the top rim of your tumbler to guarantee zero contact when you drink from the tumbler.
Often, a food-safe epoxy resin will indicate FDA approval on the company's safety data sheet. In addition to applying to your tumblers, it is also the best option for tabletop resin or other kitchen projects.
b) Easy to apply
Ease of application relies on the best consistency for your resin. When buying, you will notice that the best epoxy resins come in two bottles; one with the resin and another with the hardener. It is best to read the mixing instructions to get the best consistency for easy application and curing.
However, other resins like the Envirotex Lite Epoxy do not require you to mix the parts. If you would like to mix with other products such as color and glitter, you will also need to understand the best mixing practices as the wrong consistency will take longer to cure.
Additionally, you can look for resins that come with a measuring cup and mixing sticks for a better craft experience. If your ideal epoxy resin does not come with these tools, you will need to make sure to get accurate cups for measuring and sticks for mixing.
c) UV resistance
One thing you need to understand about all resins is that they will fade with time. However, some have stronger UV inhibitors that extend the lifespan of your epoxy tumbler.
The best UV-resistant resins offer a glossy finish that is also scratch-resistant, thus keeping the UV rays away for long.
d) Odor and VOC elements
You will notice most resins are labeled odor-free and VOC-free. Make sure the one you buy also states these safety standards on the safety data sheet.
If a resin is odorless or has a low odor, you will be able to use it indoors without needing to wear a mask. In addition, a VOC-free resin lacks chemicals, gases, and other elements that would injure your health.
Your epoxy resin needs to cure in the least time possible. In most cases, the curing process, which includes the cured resin safely holding onto the tumbler surface, takes any time from one day to 72 hours.
It is best to note that the more coatings you use in your creation, the more time it will take for your resin to heal.
Best Tumblers to Decorate with your Best Epoxy Resin
The best tumblers to design with epoxy resin will be double-walled or insulated tumblers. The fully cured resin could be softened by hot temperatures, thus the need to use a double-walled tumbler for your project unless you intend to use the tumbler only for cold beverages.
With that, you can use your best epoxy resin on the following tumblers;
- Metallic tumblers. The best metallic tumblers will need a stainless steel body for better adherence without needing base paint. Still, the best option is an insulated tumbler that can withstand maximum temperature without affecting the dignity of the resin.
- Glass or ceramic tumblers if only you intend to use the cups for cold beverages.
- A plastic tumbler, only if you can spray paint all over the surface, and then only use the tumbler for cold drinks.
How to Apply the Best Epoxy Resin
When you're ready to decorate your favorite epoxy tumbler, follow the following steps.
- Line the work area with a plastic sheet to catch all the resin drips as you work.
- Place your cup turner on the work area and cover the plastic lip with tape so you can prevent applying the resin.
- If you would like to add color to your tumbler, you can spray paint with your acrylic glitter paint. Alternatively, you can spray adhesive and then sprinkle loose glitter.
- With your gloves on, it is time to mix your resin following the manufacturer's guide.
- The next step includes applying the epoxy resin. Start with turning on the motor, so the cup turner starts to spin. When in motion, carefully pour the resin, and you could even use your finger or stick to spread the resin evenly.
- Give the epoxy tumbler time to cure, usually up to 72 hours before you can safely use the cups. Note, you need to keep the motor turning after drying until the resin is dry to the touch. After it is dry, you can remove the tumbler and leave it to cure for up to 72 hours.