The angled cut opens a world full of possibilities in carpentry. The best miter saw will make the complex cutting jobs easier and more fun. Whether you are a DIYer or a professional, a miter saw is a must-have tool for your projects. Miter saws come in a large variety of types, styles, and sizes. However, one thing that remains is the important niche that miter saws have created for themselves in the woodworking world.
- What Is The Best Miter Saw For Home Use?
- What is a Miter Saw?
- Best Miter Saw
- 1) Compound Sliding Miter Saw
- 2) Single Compound Miter Saw
- 3) Double Compound Miter Saw
- 4) Standard Compound Miter Saw
- Factors to Consider Before Buying a Miter Saw
- Safety Measures for Using a Miter Saw
What Is The Best Miter Saw For Home Use?
What is a Miter Saw?
A miter saw is meant to cut various angles into projects that can include window and picture frames, crown molding, door frames, and any project that might require bevel cuts. A miter saw doubles up as a normal saw because it can make straight cuts as well. Therefore, a miter saw is vital for getting tight angles correctly and preventing any flaws that might sabotage your finished project.
Best Miter Saw
There are three main types of miter saws.
- Compound sliding miter saw.
- Single compound miter saw.
- Dual compound miter saw.
1) Compound Sliding Miter Saw
A sliding compound miter saw has sliding rails attached to it to cut wider pieces of board. As a result, you no longer need to turn the board over to finish the cut. Instead, you only have to use one clean cut on the board. Sliding compound miter saws can handle boards from 10 to 18 inches wide. A sliding board can either be a single or dual bevel, depending on your preference.
i) Dewalt DWS779 Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- Stainless steel miter detent plate of the 12-inch miter saw blade...
- The mitre saw has a precise miter system and machined base fence...
- Precise miter system and machined base fence support Cam-lock miter...
- Tall sliding fences support 6-3/4-inch base vertically
- Bevels 0 degree - 48degree left and right
Dewalt is the biggest player in the miter saw in the market with their over 10-inch miter saw. Dewalt has the best miter saws for bevel edges on your projects. The miter saw has easy adjustments with a CAM lock miter handle for precision and efficiency. With 10 positive stops, the machine offers a neat cut at the correct angle on the board.
Dewalt has tall sliding fences that support 6 3/4- inch bases vertically and can cut an angle anywhere between 0 and 48 degrees. As a result, you can achieve a 2-inch by 14-inch dimensional lumbar cross-cut capacity at 90 degrees. At the same time, you can achieve a 2-inch by 10-inch dimensional lumbar at 45 degrees.
The dual horizontal steel rails have an innovative clamping mechanism for durability and accuracy. In addition, ball bearings on the saw make work smoother and more efficient. The saw has an impressive 3800 RPM with a 15 AMP motor to get clean and smooth cuts.
ii) Dewalt DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Miter Saw
- Integrated CUTLINE Blade Positioning System provides adjustment free...
- XPS technology uses an LED to project light down either side of the...
- Super-efficient dust collection system of DEWALT miter saw captures...
- Tall sliding fences support crown molding up to 7-1/2-inch nested and...
- Exclusive back fence design cuts up to 2x14 dimensional lumber at 90...
The Dewalt brand continues to dominate the sliding compound miter saw with their double bevel compound meter saw. The sliding compound miter saws integrate a CUTLINE blade positioning system that improves the accuracy by a large margin compared to other saws. In addition, the system provides an adjustment-free cut line indication for the 12-inch miter saw blade. The sliding miter saw uses a 15amp motor to run a powerful and effective blade that does 3800RPM.
Dewalt DWS780 has an efficient dust collection system that captures up to 75% of the dust, keeping your workstation neat at all times. The double bevel compound miter saw has tall sliding fences to support crown moldings. The molding easily slides away for the bevel cut. The dual bevel sliding miter saw has an adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with ten positive stops to increase productivity and neat miter cuts.
The saw miters 60 degrees towards the right and 50 degrees to the left, increasing the capacity of the bevel and miter.
2) Single Compound Miter Saw
A single bevel compound miter saw only adjusts in one direction. Single bevel compound miter saws can make bevel cuts and miter cuts together or independently, depending on the user's preference. You can achieve a double bevel cut with a single miter saw as long as you get your calculations right. A single compound miter saw is perfect for a project involving repetitive cuts.
i) Metabo HPT 10-inch Single Bevel Miter Saw
- 10" Compound Miter Saw
- MOTOR: 15 Amp motor delivers high power for the toughest of cuts...
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Only 24.2 lbs. to facilitate maneuverability and...
- MITER ANGLE RANGE: 0-52 degrees, to the right and left for increased...
- BEVEL RANGE: 0-45 degrees, to the left with adjustable bevel stops for...
Metabo does an impressive 5000 RPM to deliver butter-like soft cuts to wood fast and efficiently. The miter saw has a miter angle range of 0-52 degrees in either direction for unmatched flexibility with wood. In addition, the bevel cutter weighs only 24.2 pounds for easy movement around the workstation.
Metabo HPT is a 10 -inch miter saw with thumb-activated positive stops. With a bevel range of 0-45 degrees, the bevel cutter provides precision cuts unmatched by other miter saws. The 15 amp motor miter has a large table that provides enough workstations to handle the wood easily. A clamping system further makes the machine the best compound miter to work with safely and efficiently.
3) Double Compound Miter Saw
Blade angles on a double compound miter-saw adjust on both sides to make cuts in both directions. The head rotates on a fulcrum to deliver identical cuts on the project. If you are a contractor or a highly motivated hobbyist, then a double compound miter saw is perfect for you.
i) Bosch Power Dual-Bevel Sliding Glide Miter Saw
- Axial glide system: The patented glide system allows wider cross cuts...
- Capacity: Expanded cutting capacity 14 inch horizontal capacity...
- Adjustable: The GCM12SD miter saw provides easy adjustments with a...
- Precision: Square lock quick release fences lock fence 90 degree to...
- Ease of use: Upfront bevel controls all metal bevel lock lever and...
Bosch gcm12sd miter saw has a patented axial glide system for wider cross cuts and better alignment. The glide system is compact and provides 12 inches of valuable space. The miter saw has an expanded cutting capacity for fast and efficient working. The saw is easy to read with the stainless steel miter scales. Dents and roof pitch angles make the whole system easy to interpret and work with.
You no longer have to reach behind the machine for the bevel lock lever and range selector. The locks offer maximum precision with the upfront controls.
4) Standard Compound Miter Saw
A standard miter saw is not as popular as the other three types we have mentioned above. The saw is used for the most common miter cuts f0r general carpentry. It is possible to find a cordless miter saw in this category, making it a more convenient saw to use for general carpentry.
i) Makita 10" Compound Miter Saw
- Powerful 15 AMP direct drive motor for improved performance; 4,600 RPM
- Dual post compound pivoting arm
- Miter cuts 0°-45° left and 0°-52° right
- Positive miter stops at 9 settings: 15°, 22.5°, 30°, 45°, right or...
- Bevel cuts up to 45° to the left
Makita combines efficiency, power, and convenience with simplicity and functionality to develop one of the most important tools you can own as a carpenter. With a 15 amp motor, the saw packs an impressive 4600 RPM to give smooth and precise cuts with the correct angles.
Makita is the best budget saw for various uses, including decking, flooring, cabinetry, woodworking, framing, and more. Makita is perfect for a DIYer or a professional because it is highly convenient and versatile.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Miter Saw
a) Laser Guide
Laser guides are perfect for beginners and professionals alike because they guide each cut and make the work easier and faster. A laser guide will mostly be red or green, depending on the brand of choice. Most miter saws do not have laser guides, but it is a great feature to have as you work. Doing a project involving a lot of cutting might take you longer if you have to measure every other time.
b) Dust Bag
A dust bag or a dust collection system will save you a lot of work after working on your station. Collecting dust can be one of the most tiring things to do, especially because it comes at the end of your workday when you are tired and in need of rest. The chances are high that you no longer have that kind of energy to collect dust. Consider a saw with a system for collecting dust to keep you highly motivated and focused only on the project at hand.
c) Blade Size
It is always better to have a larger blade size, even if you work on a smaller project. A small blade will add you to the work of having to turn the board the other way and get the measurements once again, doubling your work. A double-work can be exhausting, especially if your project is big and there are many cuttings to be done.
Blades range between 10 and 18 inches, depending on the brand of choice. A large blade will use less power because one revolution covers more distance, while the same revolution will cover a shorter distance for a smaller blade.
d) Non-Slip Grip
Working will make you sweat. Carpentry involves a lot of mental work, probably more than physical work. When your brain is worked up, concentration goes down, and you are prone to workplace accidents. A non-slip grip will ensure nothing goes wrong when you are working.
There is an advanced technology to cut the circuit when the blade comes in contact with your hand. However, you can not solely rely on technology. You have to take precautions at all times. Wear non-grip safety gloves before you work with wood or any other power tool.
Most saw motors use 15 amp power outputs to run. However, despite the input, the number of revolutions is different, depending on the saw. The faster the revolution, the better and smoother the cut will be. However, the faster the revolutions, the more power the machine will use. Most machines are made to be installed in 110-volt circuits. Therefore, before plugging a saw into the power, ensure the connection is done correctly, and there is no surge going into the saw.
f) Miter Saw Type
As we have established above, there are three types of miter saws to choose from. Depending on the nature of your projects and work, you can buy a single or a double miter saw. If your work is not too demanding, a single miter saw will do just fine. On the other hand, if you are working professionally, a double bevel saw will probably work better.
Single bevel saws are cheap to buy and maintain. The saws are simple to use and easy to learn for a beginner. The saws are versatile and can work for a lot of projects. The saws are lightweight and easily portable. On the downside, the saws take way too long to work with, and the uniformity is limited as you have to keep making adjustments.
Double miter saws will work faster, making them convenient for large projects. You can beat your deadlines with these saws while producing neat cuts all along. However, the saws are more expensive and take longer to learn before you can perfect the use.
Safety Measures for Using a Miter Saw
- Always wear protective clothing when working with tools in the job site. Wear closed-toe shoes, protective glasses, a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and hand gloves for handling the wood and power tools.
- Ensure the connection is done correctly. Connect to a 110-volt power source to prevent any damage to the saw.
- Read a user's manual before operating the machine.
- Ensure there are no kids or pets around when you are working.
- Install a stop-trigger on the blade in case there is an accidental contact.
- Keep liquids away from your workstation.