Dwelling in a drafty room, more so during winter, can be anguishing. Additionally, it can be difficult to heat a large room quickly. Consequently, we bring you the solution of a drafty room heater. To quickly heat cold living spaces, it would help to buy the best space heater for large drafty room spaces.
In this regard, we have compiled a comprehensive buying guide for quality large room heaters. Even so, let's understand the concept of large room heaters.
- What Are Space Heaters For Large Rooms?
- Which is the Best Space Heater for Large Drafty Room?
- 1. Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater
- 2. PELONIS Oil Filled Radiator Space Heater
- 3. Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove
- 4. Lasko 5538 Ceramic Tower Heater
- 5. Mr. Heater F274830 Portable Propane Heater
- Types of Space Heaters
- Why Do You Need a Space Heater for a Large Room?
- Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Space Heater for Large Drafty Room
- Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Space Heater for Large Drafty Room
What Are Space Heaters For Large Rooms?
These are simply heating devices that fill spaces, in this case, large rooms with hot air or heat objects within a room to rid cold air from a living space. Subsequently, large room heaters come in different forms to effectively heat different spaces in our homes.
Also, large space heaters come in different varieties that provide heat in both interior and exterior spaces. Ultimately, heaters work to eliminate cold air from living spaces. In light of large-area heating, let's review the five best products in this category.
Which is the Best Space Heater for Large Drafty Room?
Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater
1. Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater
- Can heat up a large room with Auto Energy Saving Model With High and...
- Dual Heating Systems featuring infrared quartz tube + PTC with 12hr...
- IR Remote Control, High Pressure Low Noise Blower with Noise level 39...
- Electronic Thermostat: range 50 to 85 degrees. Caster Wheels and...
- Weights 24 lbs and uses 12.5 Amps of Power. 1500 Watts. Electric Cord...
Our top selection for the best space heater for large drafty room spaces is the Dr infrared portable space heater. This model uses the same energy of 1500 watts, 120 volts, and 12.5 amps as other competing products but generates more heat. This 1500-watt device is built with a dual heating system composed of an infrared quartz tube and PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient). Even with the excellent heating output, this infrared heater portable space warmer has an automated power-saving with high and low output adjustments.
Besides its heat generation and power utility, this infrared space-heating appliance is easy to control. Conveniently, you can control this heater from a distance, including power options, changing temperature levels, and programming heating modes from the comfort of your couch using an IR remote control. As part of its automation, it is also built with a 12-hour timer shutdown. Additionally, it has a low noise 7-inch blower for reduced noise levels and high-pressure heat distribution.
Moreover, this Dr infrared heater portable appliance is portable with caster wheels for easy movement and a 72-inch long power cord for convenient connection around your home. You can also enjoy the safety features of this dual-heating device starting from its tip-over and overheating protection, plus a thermostat for maintaining the set temperature levels.
2. PELONIS Oil Filled Radiator Space Heater
- Efficient Heating & Multiple Settings: Three heating modes (Hi/Lo/Eco)...
- Quiet Operation: Designed for medium to large rooms, the oil radiator...
- Portability: 4-swivel caster wheels and the sturdy carrying handle (in...
- Safety Features: Power indicator light lets you know the unit is ON,...
- Manufacturer Warranty: With confidence in the quality and efficiency...
We also recommend this energy-efficient model from the Pelonis brand. This appliance ranks second among our best space heaters for large rooms because it is affordable for its heating efficiency. Additionally, this electric space heater uses 1500 watts to heat your home through multiple efficiency settings, including high, low, and ECO-mode. You will also benefit from its five temperature settings for energy conservation depending on the prevailing heating requirements.
Furthermore, you can enjoy its automated 10-hour turn-off timer and a digital thermostat for heating regulation. It is also user-friendly with four caster wheels and a strong carrying handle for portability, noise-free operation, LED display operation for easy readability, and remote control for distant operations. Moreover, this heater doesn't require a fan adding to its quiet operation.
When it comes to safety, this energy-saving heater is built with overheat protection and tip-over safety that turns off to prevent fire hazards. In addition, the thermostat in this 1500 watt appliance ensures that the set temperature levels are effectively maintained. Eventually, you can apply this 1500 watts heater in a 164 square feet room such as a living room, bedroom, basement, or family room. After use, you can store away its power cord at the heater's bottom for compact storage.
3. Duraflame 3D Infrared Electric Fireplace Stove
- 5,200 BTU heater provides supplemental zone heating for up to 1,000...
- Patent pending 3D flame effect technology features realistic flames...
- The infrared quartz heat helps to maintain the natural humidity in the...
- Overheat protection, heater will instantly shut off to prevent...
- Adjustable, digital thermostat allows you to decide the temperature of...
Another contender for the best space heater for large drafty room spaces is the Duraflame 3D infrared electric stove. Unlike sleek and compact designs among other electric heaters, the Duraflame comes with a design mimicking a fireplace to create an ambient aesthetic. Besides its stunning build, it has the capacity to warm 1ooo square feet area, making it ideal for large rooms. Additionally, it only warms target zones, preventing unnecessary heat emission and saving on energy.
Also, the Duraflame heater is safe for both house occupants and air quality. Interestingly, this incredible appliance is compatible with most air purifier humidifiers through an infrared quartz system for quality living room humidity. In addition, it also has an automatic turn-off feature for overheat protection. Its thermostat is also adjustable for custom tweaking of home temperatures. You can also rest assured that your kids and pets are protected from burns through its cool-to-touch exterior.
Regarding convenience, this 1000 square foot appliance comes with remote control for updating heat settings from the comfort of your armchair. You can also enjoy its stand-out 3D flame features. This extra aesthetic features five color settings, speed, and brightness adjustments for the realistic flames.
4. Lasko 5538 Ceramic Tower Heater
- Multi-function remote control with on-board remote storage
- Electronic thermostat with high, low and thermostat controlled...
- 8 hour auto-off timer
- Save-Smart Technology automatically uses high setting to warm a cold...
- Fully assembled with wide-spread oscillation and easy-grip handle
If you want to buy a ceramic heater, the Lasko 5538 Ceramic Tower Heater would be a great choice. This ceramic space heater boasts dual heat settings to keep chilly rooms toasty. Effectively, this heater directs warm air up and out but is inadequate for downward heating. As a result, floors might remain chilly, more so for larger spaces.
For safety, the Lasko 5538 is built with overheat protection, a cool-touch exterior, and a self-regulating ceramic heating element. Additionally, it is equipped with an adjustable thermostat for automatic temperature controls. If you leave this heater on for long, you can benefit from an 8-hour auto power-down timer.
In addition to this device's functionality, it is easy to use with low-tech electronic controls. You can also enjoy the multifunctional remote control plus onboard remote storage. It is also easy to move this heater around your home using an easy-grip handle. Eventually, this heater can work efficiently through its save-smart technology for power conservation.
5. Mr. Heater F274830 Portable Propane Heater
- 4, 000- to 18, 000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 450 square...
- When operating the heater at altitudes over 7, 000 FT above sea level...
- Auto shut-off if tipped over, if pilot light goes out, or if detects...
- Low, medium and high heat level control knob for steady temperatures;...
- THE USE OF UN-AUTHORIZED ACCESSORIES/ATTACHMENTS WITH THIS HEATER ARE...
Lastly, we recommend Mr. Heater F274830 portable propane heater for large rooms. This is the only non-electric pick on our list that is ideal for outdoor spaces. For instance, you can use this heater in your 450 sq ft patios in case you want to get some fresh air without freezing. Basically, this appliance generates heat through the combustion of propane gas.
Even though this heater poses the risk of harmful fumes, it is built with safety features such as a sensor for detecting oxygen depletion. Additionally, it also has tip-over safety and an automatic shutoff feature when oxygen levels drop. Overall, it is an easy-to-use heater with a simple knob-button operation and lightweight portability.
Types of Space Heaters
Best heaters for large can be categorized into different types based on the different methods they use to heat rooms. Types in this context include convection space heaters, radiative heaters, oil-filled space heaters. Also, these devices are categorized based on the power they use, including electric and gas space heaters.
- Convection heaters: You can use this type if you desire some extra heat in a well-insulated room. Most commonly, convection space heaters are electric and have an inner metal or ceramic heater construction plus an effective fan for warmth distribution in a room. In addition, this type might consume more electricity but has the advantage of instant heat coziness.
- Radiative Heaters: The radiative type gives off heat through an infrared spectrum like a halogen light bulb. Essentially, this type of heaters warm objects within a room rather than heating air. Unfortunately, these heaters don't look as attractive as their convective counterparts, even with effective heat dispersion.
- Oil-filled space heaters: This type tends to provide both radiant and convection heating and is more energy-efficient. Fundamentally, these heaters are powered by electricity, which heats the diathermic oil in the heater for retaining heat for long. Subsequently, the air within a living room is slowly heated even after the heater is turned off.
- Electric Space Heaters: This type uses electricity by simply plugging your machine into an electrical outlet. They are the most common heating power options and are ideal for the contemporary home.
- Gas Space Heaters: These heaters use propane gas or butane gas. This power method has the potential of emitting dangerous fumes such as carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. They are therefore not ideal for closed or poorly ventilated rooms. However, in outside living spaces like back porches, these heaters have more heating capacity than the electric heaters.
Why Do You Need a Space Heater for a Large Room?
- A space heater is portable. Devices in this category are deliberately designed for easy movement for heating different parts of living spaces. Some of the features that enable portability include handles and wheels.
- Energy efficiency. A modern large room heater can be deemed to be more energy efficient than the traditional heating variants. Some models are built with the eco-mode feature to ensure the utility of least energy while heating effectively. In addition, a modern space heater is built to consume energy when necessary, such that it goes off when the set temperature is achieved.
- Quick heating. A space heater might appear proportionally smaller than large drafty rooms, but it's capable of heating spaces quickly. Unlike the traditional approach of lighting firewood, modern heaters only require turn-on buttons from the power outlet to the heating device. Also, through the infrared mechanism, heated objects ensure heat spreads faster within a room.
- Safety. You can safely use a portable space heater in a large room without burning people and pets. Accordingly, a modern heating system is built with a cool-to-touch exterior for insulation during and after the heating process. This means that no one gets burned when they accidentally touch a working heater.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Space Heater for Large Drafty Room
Heat emission by room space heaters definitely relies on a power source. Subsequently, the power aspect also determines the cost efficiency and price of your select heater for large room spaces. The more efficient a large space heater is on power and costs, the more expensive it will be.
In light of this understanding, most heaters for large rooms are electric, measuring power in watts. On functionality, watts determine the warmth a heater can provide and at what cost. For electric heaters, the most efficient should warm a large space quickly and automatically go off to save on electricity consumption. Accordingly, the best space heaters in the electric category can consume about 1,500 watts which can be adequate for full warming of a 300 square foot room and up to 1,000 square feet in the presence of a central heating system.
Fortunately, contemporary heaters for large rooms are built for energy saving, unlike their traditional counterparts. Specifically, the infrared heaters are built for quick heating and effective heating for large spaces. However, even as the modern type of space heater is built for efficiency, you should also compare the consumption of your heater for large rooms with the local power rates. You can also use multiple heat settings to adjust the temperature depending on your room's size and prevailing heat needs.
There are also other power options for products in this category, like propane and kerosene. However, these options for a large room space heater are not ideal for closed spaces due to the emission of carbon monoxide.
Heating a whole large room can take more time than a specific spot. Luckily, there are portable heaters for large rooms. Portability can come in the form of a lightweight size or wheels for easy movement. Consequently, a large room space heater, whether small or large, can be moved to a specific room section where heat is needed more and urgently.
Moreover, you should consider the power cord length for easy portability, depending on the plug-in point. We have included the power cord feature under portability because most space heaters for large rooms are electric.
3. Space Efficiency
Besides portability, you should also consider the footprint of a heater for large rooms, whether on the floor or wall-mounted. Even in the scope of drafty rooms, you wouldn't want a heater that congests or takes up much of your living room. In the category of space heaters for large rooms, oil-filled heaters occupy the most space. Conversely, wall-mounted heaters are the most space-efficient but with the downside of non-portability.
Pairing space efficiency with portability, an electric heater still fits these user requirements. Additionally, the best heaters for large spaces are built with an enhanced radius for better room heating. Eventually, even with a space-efficient room heater, it should effectively fill warmth in a large room.
4. Even-Heat Spread
Furthermore, the best space heater for large drafty room spaces should effectively warm all room corners evenly. This requirement means that a room heater should be equipped with a system for even distribution of hot air. Understandably, convective heaters have an even heating capacity through a fan that distributes warm air. Some distribution fans oscillate while others rotate from side to side for even warmth distribution in drafty rooms.
5. Automatic Shut Down
Any preferred heater for large room spaces should have an automated shutdown feature when a room is adequately warm or when it topples over. There are three automatic shutdown features that can be included in a timer, thermostat, and tip-over protection. Despite these in-built shutdown features, you shouldn't leave a heater on for long or overtime to avoid fire hazards.
In the case of a timer, it turns off a heater when a set or programmed time elapses. The timer feature is especially resourceful to avoid forgetting you left your heater running. Subsequently, it is easy to find a heater with an in-built timer, plus different timer settings across different manufacturers.
You can choose a heater with a thermostat. Fortunately, most of the quality devices in this category come with thermostats to measure an environment's temperatures and go off in case of overheating. Moreover, you can get a device with an adjustable thermostat that you can program to turn off when a room reaches its intended warmth. Generally, digital thermostats are easier and precise to use than dial alternatives.
There is also the option of devices with tip-over safety. This feature works by turning off a heater when it falls to prevent fire risks. Ideally, the best space heaters shouldn't lack the tip-over safety feature, especially if you have kids and pets at home.
6. Safety Features
Apart from the auto-turn-off feature, you should also ensure an all-around safe heating device. First, always ensure you read a user manual for maximum application safety. Even before you pay for a selected heater, it should have gone through safety tests. Safety lab labels such as CSA (Canadian Standards Association), Underwriters Laboratory (UL), and ETL (Intertek) are good safety indicators.
Additionally, a heater should have a cool-touch exterior to prevent the outer part from getting hot. A cool-touch exterior is especially an important safety feature for protecting users, pets, and items from burns when heating is in progress.
Also, in gas and propane heaters, you should get one with an automatic shut-off feature when there isn't oxygen for combustion, which is a sign of high carbon monoxide levels. Furthermore, you also ensure that a gas or propane heating device comes or is fitted with a combustion venting system.
7. Low Noise
Noise might sound miscellaneous, but it is an important aspect to consider for non-distractive operations. For example, a heating device would score low if it warms your space effectively but at the disadvantage of noisy operation. Subsequently, you can opt for an oil-filled radiator or infrared space heater for reduced noise levels and white fan noise.
8. Remote Control
After all the above considerations are in place, it can also be rewarding to have a remote-controlled heater. More so, if all you want to do is switch it on and off, it would save you the energy of getting up from your comfy couch. The remote control also features the advantage of adjusting temperature settings and changing between work modes effortlessly.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Space Heater for Large Drafty Room
1. What is the most efficient way to heat a large room?
It would help if you used a large room heater with an infrared spectrum for heating objects throughout the room. Subsequently, heated objects tend to retain heat within a large room. Alternatively, you can consider an oil-filled heater for longer heat emission even after turning off the heater. You check our space heaters for large room reviews for efficient heating choices.
2. What size room will a 1500 watts heater heat?
As a standard, you need around 10 watts for one sq ft area. Consequently, 1500 watts are ideal for a 150 sq ft space. In larger rooms, you can use enhanced heating techniques to maximize the capacity and square foot coverage of 1500 watts.
Image source: decenthomedecor.com