Leather is a trustworthy and durable material for personal items such as bags, belts, wallets, sheaths, and watch wristbands. Most commonly, you will find leather items with decorative or branding imprints, and you might have wondered how they are made. Precisely, stamping tools for leather are the equipment used to add value to most leather products.
Accordingly, we have put together a detailed buying guide for the best leather stamping equipment. Nonetheless, let's first better understand the concept of leather stamping kits to help you do a wise search in the market.
What Are Leather Stamping Tools?
Stamping tools for leather are metal rods uniquely designed to make imprints on leather for branding or adding style to your leatherworks. Leather stamping tools are approximately 6 inches in length, and their bases are uniquely shaped to leave a permanent impression when thumped on leather. Depending on different leather stamping techniques, you can find this equipment in different materials for thick and effective stamping.
Basically, leather imprints are made by tapping the stamp heads with a hammer or mallet to force the stamp bases to make an engraved pattern on your leather material. Having understood the idea behind the leather stamping equipment, let's look at the twelve best products in this category.
How to make leather stamping tools?
Buy on Amazon
1. Tonic Tim Holtz Stamp Platform
- An innovative surface for precision stamping with rubber and clear...
- Engineered to ensure an accurate, even contact every time
- Marked in both imperial and metric measurements
- This package contains one 9.5 x 11. 5 inch stamp platform with an 8.5...
- For use with clear stamps, ensure the word 'clear' reads when you...
The Tonic Tim Holtz Stamp Platform is an innovative stamping tool that provides a surface for accurate stamping when using clear and rubber stamps. The surface is well designed and engineered to provide an even and accurate contact every time you use the one-piece tools.
The surface is also marked with metric and imperial measurements. In the package, you get one 9.5 x 11. 5-inch stamp platform that has an 8.5 x 8.5-inch stamping area with two magnets and a side ruler. However, when using clear stamps, ensure all the words can be clearly read when closing the lid.
2. Amazon Basics Metal Alphabet And Number Stamp Kit Tools
- Stamp kit for creating permanent hand-stamped imprints; 5/16-inch...
- Includes upper-case A-Z letters, 0-9 numbers, and “&” symbol for...
- Works with metal, leather, wood, clay, and more; great for a variety...
- Made from durable alloy steel with a sand-blasted finish for strength...
- Wooden storage box included
Secondly, you can also shop for the Amazon Basics stamping tool kit. This stamping kit is ideal for making permanent leather hand imprints. Specifically, its pattern varieties include A-Z alphabets, '&' symbol for versatility, and 0-9 numerics. Moreover, you can use this stamping kit on other materials besides leather, including clay and wood.
These Amazon Basics stamping items are made with a durable steel alloy reinforced with a sand-blasted fill and finish for clear imprints even after long utility. Subsequently, you can use this kit for a long time for consistent leatherwork outcomes. To add to these items' bargain, they come in a wooden box for a great storage container and organizer.
3. Bira Craft Easy Stamp Platform Tool for Accurate Craft
- Dimensions: 9 1/4"x 8"x 7/8"; Stamp Area: 8.65" x 6.5"
- Includes 2 magnets to secure your project in place.
- Precise stamping every time! Adorn your handmade greeting cards, favor...
- Works with all cling stamps (clear, rubber and etc.) with this tool.
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed, no-risk purchase. Best Quality.
The Bira Craft Easy Stamp Platform Tool includes two magnets that help in securing your stamping project in place. As one of the best one-piece tools for leather available, this brand provides accurate stamping every time you use it. Decorate your favorite leather bags, handmade greeting cards, and other papercraft ideas using the clear stamps that are secured on this acrylic block.
This block comes with rubber corners that ensure uniform stamps so as to achieve the best results. It works with all the stamps, including rubber, clear, etc. The piece is of exceptional quality, and satisfaction is 100% guaranteed. This stamping tool is also quite affordable, making it a great option for beginners.
4. BIGTEDDY Leather Different Shape Stamp Punch Set
- Easy-To-Do stamps for beginner and professionals, can carve out the...
- Professional tools for leather craft working, create your own vintage,...
- Made by durable solid metal
- A great gift for leather craft lover
- Size : 10.5cm / 4.1''
Our top pick for the best stamping tools for leather is the BIGTEDDY set of leather shape stamps. Specifically, you can shop for these 20 pieces of popular creative shape stamps as you start your leather crafting endeavors. In addition, this stamping set is ideal for both professionals and beginners because of its easy-to-use nature. You can enjoy longer durability with this set due to its solid metal material.
Furthermore, using its common stamping patterns, as a professional, you can make stylish and vintage patterns. If you are looking to gift a leatherworks enthusiast, this would be the perfect gift. Generally, any leatherworker can enjoy the crisp edges on this equipment for making perfect and beautiful leather patterns.
5. OwnMy Capital Letters Leather Stamps
- Suitable for handmade Leather jacket, bags, shoes, belt, wallet, watch...
- Letter and Number stamp set is made of strong alloy steel for powerful...
- You can make clear and accurate stamping results with less time and...
- Stamp Handle Length: 95mm / 3.7"; Letter Stamp measures 15mm x 15mm /...
- Each package included a handle and 26 PCS 13mm Capital Letters. (NOT...
In your search for leather stamping tool choices, you can also consider applying this OwnMy stamping kit. This equipment is designed with alpha-numerical pattern stamps made out of strong steel alloy for increased durability. Fortunately, because of the sturdy composition material, you can be sure the leather imprints you make with this kit will be accurate and long-lasting.
Most suitably, you can use this effective stamping kit on handmade leather bags, jackets, wallets, shoes, belts, embellishments, and watch wristbands. Nonetheless, these versatile settings are only ideal for leather and shouldn't be used on wood or metal. Additionally, you can enjoy its effortless and accurate stamping within less time. Generally, this kit is ideal for leather crafting for both amateurs and professionals.
6. UOOU 26 Pcs Leather Stamping Tools Set
- ★Leather Working Stamping Tools Kit: Our leather tools kit includes...
- ★High-Quality Carving Stamps Kit: Stainless steel material,...
- ★26 Pcs Leather Tooling Stamps Set: 6 pcs special shape stamping...
- ★Leather Working Stamping for Tooling: It is suitable for beginners...
- ★Leather Stamping Tools Function: Professional leather stamping...
Another great choice for a leather stamping tool kit is this UOOU stamping gear. This kit will make your search for leather stamping equipment simpler with its diversified 26 stamping equipment. Specifically, this kit has carving stamps that are ideal for use by both DIY amateurs and professionals. Additionally, this stamping equipment is made from high-grade stainless steel that cannot rust, has no burr, and has a smooth surface.
Moreover, your search for stamping versatility will end with its kit due to its clear texture and beautiful patterns meant to be used diversely. You can also benefit from its 6pieces of special stamping designs alongside its non-slip texture and elegant color theme. Also, this kit is ideal for a cold stamp on wet leather and is easy to use by simply using a carving hammer until your imprint is perfect. In addition, it is ideal for more personalized use on leather wallets, bags, and belts.
7. Jupean Leather Stamping Tools
- ✅Leather Carving Stamps Tools -- 6 piece special graphics stamping...
- ✅High Quality -- Forged with high-quality 304 stainless steel, heat...
- ✅Accurate Stamp -- Each tool has a specification mark, can smooth...
- ✅How to Use the Stamps Tool -- After the veg-tanned leather is...
- ✅Leather Stamping Tools Function -- Professional tools for leather...
The Jupean Leather Stamping Tools is a set that features a unique 3D effect every time the impressions are made. The handle and the head are in one piece and are also not welded to improve durability and ensure they don't break easily. Furthermore, this set features items that are rustproof and come with a non-slip shaft to provide an easy grip and comfort.
It is specifically designed for professionals, but adventurous amateurs can also try using it. In the package, you get six stamping tools that come with different designs and patterns. Every piece is forged using a high-quality stainless steel and heat treatment, making it wear-resistant and highly durable. The tools also come with a unique specification mark that makes them easy to use.
8. BUTUZE Leather Craft Set, 22 Pieces Leather Tool Kit
- Leather crafting tool kit-Our leather kit including 20 pieces leather...
- LEATHER SET:The hammer cooperate with the leather stamps ,can stamp...
- GOOD PERSONALIZED TOOLS:If you want to seek your own style or want to...
- DURABLE & TOP QUALITY: All tools in our leather carving kit are made...
- GREAT GIFTING IDEA: If you are looking for a thoughtful gift for your...
Made with a beginner in mind, the BUTUZE Leather Craft Set, 22 Pieces Leather Tool Kit is simple to use but comes with additional professional tools. A beginner can easily explore the combination of carving and stamping tools to achieve beautiful designs.
This set comes fully stocked with twenty leather stamping tools as well as a durable maul mallet and a swivel knife. This toolset is an excellent option for a wide range of uses like wallet, canvas, key bag, or even special bags. It is also used as a great gift for family and friends who like to work on crafts.
9. Realeather Crafts Set Funtime Stamps
- Made in China
- Package Weight :0.068 kg
- Package dimensions :9.398 cm (H) x 2.54 cm (L) x 3.81 cm (W)
- Product type :HOME
The Realeather Crafts Set Funtime Stamps is another great kit that provides you with a simple and fast way to create fun designs for your leather materials. This specific set is made with younger people and beginners in mind, but it is not recommended for use with kids that are less than three years old.
The package comes with eight metal stamp designs that you can fix to the handle. The different designs on the stamps create more fun designs than you would normally get in other leather stamps. These designs may include a smiley face, butterfly, flower, star, leaf, heart, and moon. The designs are tiny, less than half an inch.
10. TIHOOD Capital Letters and Numbers Stamp Set
- Suitable for handmade Leather jacket, bags, shoes, belt, wallet, watch...
- Letter and Number stamp set is made of strong alloy steel for powerful...
- You can make clear and accurate stamping results with less time and...
- Size: Total length is 98mm/3-7/8” and the stamp measures 10mm x 8mm...
- Package included a handle and 36 PCS Stamps (26 PCS Capital Letters +...
Looking for numbers and letters to add to your handmade leather materials? The Tihood Capital Letters and Numbers Stamp Set is suitable for leather shoes, watch, bags, jackets, wristbands, wallets, and other crafts. With these leather stamps, you can create personalized wallets or wristbands for your loved one. However, they are not suitable for use with wood and metal.
This number and letter stamp set is made from strong alloy steel that provides long life and a powerful impact. It also provides stronger and durable imprints which display more accurately. You can easily achieve accurate and clear stamping results with less effort and time. Moreover, it can be used by both amateurs and professionals.
11. Willbond 70 Pieces Leather Craft Stamping Tools
- What you will get: you will receive 2 pieces Leather Craft Stamping...
- Suitable for: they are suitable for the decoration of handmade leather...
- Nice features: you can apply it to DIY handmade leather products to...
- Sturdy material: letter and number, pattern stamps are made of alloy...
- Suitable size: the stamping steel punch tool is 9.5 cm/ 3.7 inch, and...
The Willbond 70 Pieces Leather Craft Stamping Tools comes as a set of two pieces leather stamping tools and 68 pieces of different craft stamps that come in three styles, including patterns, numbers, and letters. These pieces are designed for decorating handmade leather material in suitcases, wristbands, belts, watches, purses, and shoes.
The pieces can help you create eye-catching and personalized wristbands, purses, and other leather products. All the leather stamps in this set are made with precision which makes them very easy to use. Additionally, the design of these leather stamps is simple and ensures clear stamping results with less effort and time. The letters, patterns, and number stamps are made from alloy steel for durability.
12. OWDEN Professional Alphabet Stamp Tool Set for Leathercraft
- OWDEN Professional 27 Pieces Alphabet(LETTER) stamping set for...
- 26 Pieces alphabet (A,B,C,D,E........X,Y,Z ), with a steel handle.
- This stamping kit suitable for use on the lather products with...
- Generally used for vegetable tanned leather with a thickness of more...
- Choose me and let us work together to complete a great artwork, Trust...
If you are a serious leatherwork professional, we recommend this incredible OWDEN stamping kit. Specifically, this kit has a fill of 27 letter stamps which are 19 mm tall. Additionally, the handles on this stamping equipment are made of steel, and the stamps can be used to make leather products with greetings and names.
As a professional leatherworker, you won't struggle to make imprints with this OWDEN equipment because all your need is to use a hammer on wet leather until you are satisfied with the imprint. Subsequently, the imprints made using this kit are long-lasting, with a thickness of over 1.5 mm. With the OWDEN kit to complete your search for leather stamping hardware, you can trust these appliances to provide you with great leather artwork.
Types of Stamping Leather Tools
Different leatherworkers choose to use different stamping tools, which are categorized as either shapes or carvings. Choosing either of these types primarily depends on your preferred crafting choice.
1. Carving Stamps
Carving crafting tools are commonly used on Sheridan style and floral leather crafts. Specifically, carving craft stamps are used together with accentuating category shop swivel knives for in-depth stamps. Some of the common carving stamps include camouflage, shader, bevelers, seeder, veiner stamps, background, and figure carving.
2. Shape Stamps
Alternatively, you can use shape stamping tools that make more specific, repetitive patterns, geometric designs, and recognizable shapes. You can use shape stamps alongside carving stamps to create more unique and artistic pieces or by themselves. The most commonly used shape stamps include flowers, hearts, peace signs, numbers, and leaves.
Other Stamping Tools
3. Leather Stamping Patterns
Pattern stamps, also known as geometric stamps are used to make continuous patterns. To create a pattern, a single stamp may be used to stamp the impressions closely to each other. The most used pattern is basketweave, and it is predominantly used on holsters.
However, there are several shapes of stamps that ensure the impressions will nest to each other. This makes it quite impossible to find out where the single stamp impression ends, and another one begins.
4. Stamping Tool Letters of the Alphabet
Some sets will include individual letter stamps and a stamp platen for every letter. These stamps come with a separate handle that is rod-like and is used in conjunction with the stamp. The number and letter sets are mostly sold separately, with normal sizes ranging from 0.25 inches to 0.5 inches. You also get to choose between the various fonts, including fancy, script, or Arial type font.
When it comes to stamping letters, alignment, spacing, and patience are crucial. If there are inconsistencies in letter alignment or spacing and they are noticeable even with an untrained eye, then there is a problem. As a result, it is crucial to ensure proper alignment and spacing on the lines while putting on the stamps.
However, you can always get acrylic letter guides to help in proper spacing and alignment. Most of these letter stamps will come with a tactile indicator to help with proper orientation as well as prevent the letters from being stamped upside down.
5. Custom Leather Stamping Tools
Custom stamps have become quite popular over the years. The 3D printers are an alternative for creating custom leather stamps without having in-depth knowledge about the CNC equipment or someone using a Dremel to craft it by hand.
Custom snaps are mostly preferred because they allow for personality and individuality, which ensure the user can meet the needs of the client. There are many different materials used for making custom stamps, including steel, brass, or resins. Many leather crafters use these custom tools to make an insignia or logo.
6. Vintage Tools
Vintage tools are those tools made in the 1960s or earlier. Finding stamps without names or numbers are assumed to be vintage. However, there is a difference because most of the vintage stamping tools were handmade.
7. Professional Tools
Professional tools were typically handmade, expensive, and high-quality pieces compared to the mass-produced versions. Their workmanship and quality are much better, and most of them are priced accordingly.
Professional tools will still use the same materials as used in other tools, including stainless steel, low carbon steel, brass, and high carbon steel. With these tools, the details and initials will be more defined and very fine.
8. Leather Border Stamping Tools
Border stamps will continuously create patterns around the cut line or outer edge on leather. It is a series of shapes, camouflage stamps or a seamless pattern shaped evenly around the border of each piece. This helps create an amazing outline for your project.
9. DIY Leather Stamping Tools
DIY stamps can either be designed by creating cuts in metal plates or using 3D printers. To be able to create simple designs, one can relieve metal from brass punches and create unique patterns. These DIY stamps have a size ranging from 0.1 inches to three inches.
Techniques for Stamping Leather
Whether you are using a spring-loaded ball stamp or a fully manual stamp, there are different techniques for stamping leather. Particularly, the highlighted techniques are resourceful to know for a beginner as they seek to identify their preferred leather stamping technique.
1. Hot Stamping
This first stamping method requires the input of a press machine. Primarily, the main considerations for this method to succeed include pressure applied on leather, heat, and the pressing frequency applied on leather material. As you use this technique, it is preferred that you try a few hot stamps on a separate piece of leather before you stamp your main project.
2. Cold Stamp on Dry Leather
Secondly, you can also cold stamp your dry leather. Specifically, you will require to apply the stamping tool on the leather grain side using a pressing mallet. Regarding the leather stamp size used in this technique, you should apply a smaller stamp size for crisp and clean leather stamp choices.
3. Cold Stamp on Wet Leather
You can also apply the cold stamp on wet leather, especially for vegetable-tanned leather. This technique is the most common among most leatherworkers, and the engravements it makes are quite permanent.
The reason for this is that wet leather is pliable and soft to receive a full stamping impression. Before you undertake this technique, you will need to get your leather and gently tap with a mallet to stamp your preferred impressions.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Stamping Tools for Leather
Leatherwork by itself has the feel of class, and with the styling of stamping tools, your leather can even look better branded and more classy. Nonetheless, not all stamping tools for leather are made equally. So as you look for the best leather stamping tools category, shop wisely as you check the following considerations.
This first consideration basically refers to the material used to make your leather stamping tools. Understandably, you can find leather stamping equipment made out of stainless steel, plated stainless steel, brass, or high carbon steel. Below is a brief analysis of each of the different materials:
- Stainless Steel – Tools made from stainless steel can last many years with minimal abrasion. Additionally, a pack of stainless steel is also easy to maintain and clean.
- Brass – As you search for impressive stamping tools, brass fits the bill of attractive aesthetics, but it is tougher to maintain. Ideally, brass is very soft, unlike stainless steel, and can easily break when dropped on hard surfaces. Therefore, it calls for more care when handling a pack of brass equipment.
- Plated Stainless Steel – Thirdly, some equipment is coated with stainless steel, but their core is not stainless steel. The plating is mainly for the appearance and color that give the shopper the impression of durability. Today, plated stainless steel leather stamps are the cheapest, but you will eventually suffer the flaking off of the coating.
- High Carbon Steel – As you shop and search for leather stamping tools, you can also find high-carbon steel items. This material also has a very attractive impression but is also difficult to maintain. Therefore, it is recommended that you regularly apply light oil coats to avoid rusting.
Ideally, it would help if you bought leather stamping tools made out of stainless steel or carbon steel for their effectiveness. Particularly, stainless steel has the best durability outcomes, unlike tools with a chrome fill or leather-finished equipment that wear out faster and have less impressive outcomes.
Also, it is important to consider the condition of your stamping hand tools. Precisely, you should ensure that your leather tools are rust-free, clean, and damage-free. Despite buying a used or new set of stamping equipment, you shouldn't compromise on their condition.
For instance, it would be detrimental if you purchased a tool with a faulty spring-loaded ball handle, especially if you bought a used set. Unfortunately, if that's the case, you will have to spend more by preferring to buy a new set. If your stamping equipment also has swivel knives, they should also be sharp enough for quality leatherwork.
Quality is another important consideration for stamping equipment if you are seeking high-grade leather engravements. Considering that leather stamping equipment often comes in sets, they are usually mass-produced, laser engraved, or CNC machined. However, in some cases, you can find some made one at a go using hand tools.
In most cases, mass production can cause tools to have irregular edges, whereas sharp and crisp engravements are required on leather. Preferably, we recommend getting handmade stamping equipment because they are meticulously made to feature various distinctions with the appropriate edges.
Generally, to avoid poor leatherwork impressions, you should ensure that the corners, exteriors, ridges, and interior of tools are made to your preference before buying.
Lastly, on our shopping guide for the best leather stamping tools, we also recommend that you consider the price of your select pack of stamping equipment. In most cases, mass-produced category shop leather stamps are best for budget-conscious shopping. Also, brass leather stamps are typically cheap because they are produced using CNC machines.
Progressively, handmade shop sets are more expensive due to the inputted precision during their making. However, if you are a beginner, you can start with a basic stamping set and improve as your go.
Fortunately, a set of 7 to 15 stamping equipment is adequate for DIY or initial stages since trying out the different designs is more important than quality at these levels. Eventually, as you seek quality leatherworks, higher prices often justify quality stamps. Look out for exclusive offers like free shipping to save on costs.
Tips For Using Leather Stamping Tools
Here are a few things you should keep in mind to help make your leatherwork job a great success.
1. If you're using a cold stamp on wet leather, ensure the top half is wet and the remaining half stays dry. This helps prevent the mushy stamp on leather. However, if you feel that the leather is too wet to stamp, wait for some minutes for the leather to dry a bit before you proceed with stamping.
2. Remember to choose a natural vegetable, tanned leather when wetting leather because it absorbs water, but others like chrome tanned leather, might not be able to absorb water.
3. Consider using a good working surface such as a granite slab. Avoid using a board, table, workbench, cement, or concrete floor. Moreover, avoid using steel as a surface because it can react with the leather and cause it to turn black.
4. Use the correct mallet. For instance, if you're using a wooden mallet leaves the tiny chips down the impressions you're making and this will make it hard to achieve great finishes.
5. When it comes to striking a stamping tool, there are two methods you can use. First, you can choose one to make an impression with a single strike or you can choose to go with multiple strikes to make the impression.
Frequently Asked Questions on Stamping Tools for Leather
1. What is the best leather for stamping?
The best leather for stamping is the chrome-tanned type which is pliable and softer. Using this type of leather, you can easily hand-make products such as shoes that can be comfortable while walking. Additionally, vegetable-tanned leather tends to be stiffer and ideal for carving equipment with shape-holding capabilities such as sheaths.
2. How do you make a leather stamp tool?
Leather stamps are made by creating designs using power tools, laser engraving, hand tools, or CNC machinery from plastics and metals. Some of the common types of materials used include steel, resins, thick plastics, and brass. This material needs to be thick enough to ensure it can withstand the pressure when stamping the leather.
3. Do you need to wet the leather before stamps?
Leather should be cased or dampened with water to achieve the best results while stamping. Adding water to the leather will allow the fibers to loosen up and relax a bit to ensure the strike of the stamp leaving a nice indentation in the leather.