- Prevent unauthorized access by using our lockset that comes pre-installed on each of our storage cabinets with doors and shelves Benefit from a second key that can be used by co-owners or as a backup in case of loss.
- Four of the five shelves in these garage storage cabinets are adjustable providing adaptability and convenience
Instead of leaving tools on your workbench or having paint cans littering your garage floor, get a garage cabinet to safely store and organize items in your workshop.
Cabinets can come in many different types and sizes, so the best garage cabinets for you will depend on the features you need. These can include locking doors, casters, wheels, lighting or even a built-in workbench. They come in different gauges of steel, heavy-duty plastic and wood, and can be wall-mounted or freestanding.
Garage Cabinet Types
Garage cabinets can come in many different types, including freestanding, rolling, modular, customizable, wall-mounted and overhead, as well as complete garage storage systems that can help you create the ultimate garage workshop.
Freestanding cabinets are the most basic type, with a simple rectangular design and standing 5 to 6 feet tall. They have shelves that can be adjusted to a variety of levels so you can organize your tools. They do not attach to other cabinets or attach to walls, and they do not have casters. A sturdy set of legs or a solid base provides support.
Rolling cabinets vary in size, but their defining feature is a set of casters that allows you to move them around your workshop or garage. They can be part of a modular assembly, but most are separate from other garage storage systems.
Modular and Customizable Cabinets
Modular and customizable cabinets are designed to be part of a storage system. You can arrange them into a customized storage solution based on your space and needs. They give you control over the configuration of your cabinets.
Wall-Mounted and Overhead Cabinets
Wall and overhead mounted cabinets attach to the walls or ceiling of your garage or workspace, giving you additional storage space without taking up floor space. They are a good option for making the most of a small space. Overhead cabinets can have built-in lights, providing garage lighting as well as storage.
A complete garage storage system can include five to 10 pieces of garage furniture, such as cabinets, shelving and workbenches that fit together to form an organizational system that can store everything from tools to lawn mowers to bicycles. These systems are similar to modular cabinets, except that they are typically sold as a package rather than as individual pieces. Their configuration is predetermined by the manufacturer, so they are not as customizable as modular cabinets.
What You Should consider when choosing the best garage cabinets.
Before choosing a garage cabinet for your shelving and storage needs, educate yourself on the most important considerations to keep in mind.
Consider the dimensions of your space to determine what size garage cabinet you can install. Maximize space in small garages with hanging or wall-mounted cabinets that don't take up floor space. Medium-sized garages can use freestanding, rolling, modular and wall-mounted cabinets, while larger garages (three-car and larger) have room for a full storage system.
Garage cabinets can be made of plastic, wood, aluminum and stainless steel.
Plastic garage cabinets are durable, waterproof and lightweight, making them an excellent choice for garden tools and other light to medium weight items. They may lack the strength to store heavy items.
Wood garage cabinets give your garage a classic look and are strong enough to hold most power and garden tools. Wood is susceptible to moisture damage, rot and impact damage caused by tools and fasteners.
Aluminum and stainless steel garage cabinets are the best choices for a busy workshop, with a heavy, durable design that can hold all your tools while withstanding the bumps and abuse of a working garage.
When shopping for a garage cabinet, consider what items you will store in it. For example, if you want to store larger power tools, you need strong shelves but no drawers. If you plan to store nuts, bolts, screws and nails, then you need drawers. Determine how the cabinet doors open so you can properly plan their location. Some cabinets have sliding doors that don't require space for the door to swing, so they can fit in compact locations.
Garage cabinets can come with a range of features for safety, efficiency, or aesthetics.
Door locks are necessary for any garage cabinet in a home with children. This simple feature keeps potentially dangerous tools, blades and fasteners away from your children. Door locks also keep your items safe from theft.
An attached workbench is a frequent inclusion in complete garage storage systems, giving you a place to store and use your tools.
Built-in lighting is sometimes included on the bottom of wall-mounted garage cabinets or on top to illuminate a workbench. Freestanding or wheeled garage cabinets can have interior lighting activated when the doors are opened so you can see your tools.
Determine the maximum weight capacity your garage cabinets can hold without the shelves collapsing. Garage cabinets made of stainless steel or aluminum can hold the most weight, but some wood cabinets, and even some thick plastic cabinets, may have similar weight capacities.
Modular, customizable, wall-mounted and top-mounted cabinets require you to locate studs in your walls and properly fasten the cabinets to them so they are supported and level. Depending on your skill, experience and the size of the cabinets, this can be difficult.
Freestanding and rolling garage cabinets may have some configuration requirements, but are generally easy to assemble and install.
Complete garage storage systems are the most difficult to configure, due to the number of individual items that must be assembled and installed.
The Best Garage Cabinets
The products below were chosen for quality, price and with the above considerations in mind.
1. Fedmax Storage Cabinets with Doors and Shelves
- LOCK AND TWO KEYS INCLUDED: Prevent unauthorized access using our...
- ADJUSTABLE SHELF HEIGHT: Four of the five shelves in these garage...
- WEIGHT CAPACITY: Sturdy and reliable - each of the five shelves in...
- LEG LEVELERS: Looking to set up garage cabinets with doors and shelves...
- ASSEMBLY: This garage storage cabinet comes unassembled and to help...
Keep your tools and accessories safe inside this freestanding garage storage cabinet with shelves that can be configured to accommodate a range of items, from power saws to hammers. Made of stainless steel, it stands on adjustable feet to level the cabinet and has five shelves, four of which are adjustable, that can hold up to 180 pounds each. The cabinet has a total weight capacity of 900 pounds, so you can pack a lot of tools in here. This garage cabinet measures 70.86 inches by 31.5 inches by 15.75 inches and weighs only 105 pounds. Its doors are lockable to help keep your tools and your kids safe.
2. Rubbermaid 72-Inch Four-Shelf Double-Door Cabinet
- Provides 27 cubic feet of storage capacity; 690-pound storage capacity
- Rugged high-density polyethylene construction; no-tool assembly
- One storage container; lock not included
- Measures 36 inches wide, 72 inches high, 18 inches deep; 68 pounds;...
Store a wide variety of items in this 6-foot-tall freestanding garage cabinet made of high-density polyethylene (plastic). It has four shelves, each capable of holding 170 pounds, for a total maximum weight capacity of 680 pounds. The cabinet itself weighs only 68 pounds and measures 72 inches high by 36 inches wide by 18 inches deep with a storage capacity of 21 cubic feet. It is rust-proof, resistant to warping unless exposed to extreme heat, and water resistant, so you can store your garden tools and hose safely. The pieces snap together for easy assembly, so you won't have to worry about using tools or dealing with fasteners.
3. Homak 2 door wall cabinet with 2 shelves.
- 2 adjustable shelves for convenient storage
- Pre-drilled holes and mounting hardware included
- HMC tubular locks with 100 combinations
- Manufactured with high quality steel
- Load capacity: 66-pound frame, 22-pound shelves
The cabinet is part of the Homak Garage series. It is made of high quality steel and has two doors and two adjustable shelves. Each shelf, including the base shelf of the cabinet, can hold up to 22 pounds for a maximum load capacity of 66 pounds. It measures 12 inches by 26.75 inches by 26.88 inches and has recessed handles. The doors have a built-in lock, and the entire cabinet weighs just 34 pounds, making it easy to install using the included mounting hardware and pre-drilled holes. As your storage needs grow, you can add more Homak components to your space. Additional modules in this series include cabinets with casters, drawers and a workbench.
4. UltraHD Tall Storage Cabinet
- Set of 4 5" Wheels (2 wheels with brakes) included
- Stainless Steel Segmented Doors
- Dimensions: 36" W x 18" D x 72" H
- Weight Capacity: 600 lbs total, 150 lbs for each shelf
- Powder Coated Steel Frame
The attractive UltraHD stainless steel cabinet looks great in almost any garage and gives you a place to organize and store up to 600 pounds of tools, garden equipment or sports equipment. Best of all, its sturdy casters make it easy to roll, so you can clean up behind the cabinet or simply move your equipment where you need it. This garage cabinet measures 72 inches tall (including casters), 36 inches wide and 18 inches deep. It has three adjustable shelves and a base shelf, each of which can hold up to 150 pounds. It is part of the Seville Classics UltraHD modular system, so you can purchase matching pieces in the collection as your storage needs grow.
5. Gladiator GAWG28FDYG Full Door Wall Gearbox
- The tab and loop design on all of the panels minimizes the need for...
- The Wall Bracket Kit moves your cabinet up off the floor and onto any...
- The extremely durable magnetic catch powerfully holds the cabinet door...
- The steel cabinet panels, along with heavy-duty Allen head bolt screws...
Modular cabinets like this two-door Gladiator allow you to customize the design of your garage storage system as you add more pieces. The garage cabinet measures 28 inches by 12 inches by 28 inches and can hold a total of 150 pounds, with two adjustable shelves that each hold 40 pounds. It has steel construction, a strong magnetic catch holds on the doors and recessed handles. It comes with two brackets that attach to your garage wall and are compatible with other units in the Gladiator wall system. This unit can be installed on the floor, in the wall mounted system or directly on your wall if you plan to use it separately from the modular system.
6. Manhattan Comfort Fortress Collection Cabinet
- Ideal Dimensions: This Floating Cabinet Has Been Designed to Make a...
- Durable Craftsmanship: Constructed With a Stainless Steel Frame, This...
- Modern Design: Designed to Enhance the Décor of Your Garage, This...
- Upon Delivery There are Detailed Directions to Follow to Assemble This...
- Purchase With Confidence: Manhattan Comfort has Been Manufacturing and...
This inexpensive wall-mounted garage cabinet can provide storage over a workbench or in a small garage. Made of stainless steel and weighing only 33 pounds, this cabinet is easy to install and has an attractive silver design on doors with recessed handles. The doors have a built-in lock with two keys. The cabinet measures 30 inches by 30.3 inches by 12.5 inches and has two shelves to help you better organize your items. While you may not want to store heavy power tools here, it is an excellent choice for storing fasteners, small accessories, oil, paint, washer fluid and other miscellaneous garage items.
7. Husky Welded Steel Garage Cabinet Set
- The cabinet set includes: 1 Husky 30in. locker (75 in. H x 30.6 in. W...
- Total weight capacities: locker 822 lbs. each, 1-drawer 2-door base...
- Heavy-duty, powder-coated steel for rigidity and optimal load capacity
If you have a large enough garage space, you may want to opt for this complete garage storage system that organizes everything from tools to garden equipment to sports equipment. The system is made of heavy-duty 24-gauge steel and features nine different pieces, including a 6-foot-long stainless steel work surface that can support up to 500 pounds. The Husky system also has two upright cabinets that can hold up to 822 pounds each, three base cabinets that can hold every 650 pounds and three wall-mounted cabinets that can hold every 100 pounds. The total length of all pieces once installed is over 11 feet, which will likely fit whatever you need.
Frequently Asked Questions About Garage Cabinets
Before you buy a new garage cabinet, take a look at these frequently asked questions and their answers.
Q. How high should I mount my garage cabinet?
This depends on your preference and should be based on the design and height of your garage. The standard mounting height for cabinets is approximately 8 feet, measured from the floor to the top of the cabinet.
Q. How deep should a garage cabinet be?
The average depth of a garage cabinet ranges from 16 inches to 36 inches, but this depends on how you plan to use your cabinet.
Q. How do I attach a cabinet to a garage wall?
To hang a garage cabinet on the wall, follow these basic steps. Also refer to the manufacturer's instructions to make sure you install your cabinet correctly.
- Plan where you want to hang the cabinet, then measure from the floor to the desired height of the cabinet.
- Draw a horizontal line (using a level) to mark where the bottom of the cabinet will sit. This is your hanging line.
- Use a stud finder along the hanging line to locate the studs. Screw a ledger board under the hanging line to balance and level your cabinet during installation.
- Lift the cabinet over the ledger board, which should support the weight of the cabinet.
- Drill holes in the wall studs. Screw the cabinets to the studs, making sure the entire cabinet frame is properly supported.
- Check that the cabinet is level, then remove the ledger board.
Q. How do I declutter and organize my garage cabinet?
Declutter your garage cabinet by sorting your items into two piles: keep and toss. Once they are sorted, get rid of the items in the "toss" pile and organize the remaining items in the cabinet. The goal is to be able to find the tool you need without having to dig through piles of miscellaneous items.