Waffles are a great breakfast option, up there with pancakes and bacon. They are easy to make, especially once you find a great recipe. However, the cleanup process is daunting as you have to use a soft cloth or brush to get into the pockets and crevices. Fortunately, the best waffle maker with removable plates will help lessen this process.
We want to ensure that you enjoy making waffles for yourself and your family. The best waffle maker with removable plates allows you to focus more on the recipe and less on the cleanup process. This is because you can throw the waffle plates in a dishwasher and let it do the cleaning.
If you're looking to add a waffle maker to your kitchen appliances, we suggest you go for one with removable plates. We've created a list of the best waffle makers with removable plates to get you started. Plus, we have included a buying guide, so you know what to look out for when shopping.
First, let's look at the benefits of waffle makers with removable plates.
Why Should You Get A Waffle Maker With Removable Plates?
1. Easy Cleaning
Cleaning is one of the major advantages of the best waffle makers with removable plates over conventional waffle makers. Forget about using a soft brush and cleaning out waffle remains in the crevices. In addition, the removable plates are dishwasher safe, while others require hand washing.
Another major selling point with waffle makers is their versatility. Apart from making delicious breakfast waffles, you can use the removable and reversible plates to make sandwiches, hash browns, eggs and bacon.
This benefit is super convenient for students, busy moms and anyone with a small kitchen that can't fit many appliances.
3. Good Quality Waffles
Cleaning your waffle maker's removable plates helps remove oils and batter stuck in the plates. In turn, this ensures you have good quality and tasty waffles the next time you prepare them.
Finally, having the ability to keep your waffle maker clean and in pristine condition helps increase its longevity. This is possible since you can easily clean out batter and oils from the plates, preventing a build-up.
Which is the best waffle maker with removable plates brand?
Buy on Amazon
Below are the best waffle makers with removable plates on the market.
1. KRUPS Belgian Waffle Maker
- 4 Slices: Bake up to 4 square shaped Belgian waffles at a time; Steam...
- Adjustable browning: Choose from 5 browning levels (from light to...
- Easy to clean: Removable, dishwasher safe die cast plates with a...
- Bake to perfection: Red and green indicator lights for on, ready, and...
- Sleek stainless steel design: Stainless steel housing offers modern...
Krups is a well-known brand when it comes to quality kitchen appliances. This best Belgium waffle maker is no exception as it is compact and has a durable stainless steel exterior. In addition, there is a handle lock and convenient cord wrapping to make storage easy.
You can make up to 4 delicious Belgian waffles with this machine. The deep pockets are also convenient when adding berries or maple syrup to flavor the waffle. Additionally, you will like that this Krups waffle maker has 5 browning settings to match different preferences.
2. Cuisinart Belgian Maker with Pancake Plates
- Includes a set of 4-slice Belgian waffle plates and a 4-slot pancake...
- Nonstick coated removable plates-dishwasher safe ; MC Cubic Feet: 2.00...
- Six setting temperature control
- Ready to Bake/Ready to Eat indicator lights; audible alert
- Brushed stainless steel top cover; upright storage; tongs and recipe...
This Cuisinart waffle maker is undoubtedly one of the best in the market. It comes as a set of 4-slice Belgian waffles and 4 pancake plates. In addition, you can make hash browns, eggs, grilled sandwiches and even toast bread on this machine.
The design of this waffle manufacturer includes a brushed stainless steel top that blends seamlessly with any kitchen decor. The 6 setting temperature control allows you to determine your perfect crispy Belgian waffles. In addition, the audible alert and indicator lights let you know when the waffles are ready to eat.
3. Hamilton Beach 26031 Belgian Waffle Maker
- FLIPS EASILY FOR THICK, FLUFFY WAFFLES. With the ability to flip...
- FOUR TIMES MORE DURABLE THAN TRADITIONAL NONSTICK. The Durathon...
- EASY CLEANUP — REMOVABLE GRIDS AND DRIP TRAY ARE DISHWASHER SAFE....
- PERFECTLY BROWNED WAFFLES WITH ADJUSTABLE BROWNING CONTROL. From light...
- DURABLE STAINLESS STEEL HOUSING. The stainless steel housing of this...
This Hamilton Beach model is a perfect addition if you're looking for a Belgian waffle maker with a flipping feature. It has ceramic grill plates, which are more eco-friendly and cook faster compared to Teflon non-stick plates. In addition, the plates are dishwasher safe to make cleaning a breeze.
The Hamilton 26031 Belgian waffle maker has adjustable browning settings. This ensures that you get a fluffy waffle on the inside and a crispy texture outside. In addition, you can make up to 4 waffles at the same time. Finally, the stainless steel housing gives the waffle iron a chic and classic design.
4. George Foreman Multi-Plate Waffle Maker
- 500 Searing Burst- A high-heat searing burst raises the temperature of...
- Digital Control Panel- The digital control panel clearly displays the...
- Advanced Ceramic Coating- The premium grill plates are covered with a...
- Removable Plates- The grill plates are completely removable and...
The George Foreman multi-plate waffle maker makes an excellent choice if you're looking for a more versatile machine. You can use this waffle manufacturer to grill, bake and press anything from fish, vegetables and even sandwiches.
To reach your desired waffle texture, you can adjust the temperature between 324 to 450° F. For other foods, the searing heat of 500° F can be reached in 90 seconds to make cooking easier. In addition, heat is evenly distributed through the waffle irons for effective and perfectly cooked waffles.
The digital control panel makes using this waffle and sandwich maker relatively easy. This panel is also level with the exterior surface to ease wiping it down. Another exciting feature is the ceramic grill plates that are fast, non-stick and removable.
5. Secura Rotating Non-Stick Belgian Waffle Maker
- Create Deep-pocket Belgian waffles with this 360 degree rotating...
- 360 Degree rotating waffle maker allows for evenly cooked waffles...
- Nonstick coating on the removable plates for fast and easy cleanup
- "Cool touch" Handles for safe and easy turning and a unique "locking...
- "Power-on & ready-to-cook" Indicator lights. 2-Year manufacturer's...
The Secura Belgian waffle maker rotates your waffles at 360 degrees to ensure they're fully cooked. The plates are removable, non-stick, food-grade and easy to clean in a dishwasher. In addition, the deep-pocket Belgian waffles are convenient for various toppings like whipped cream and mixed berries.
There are indicators on this machine to alert you when the Belgian waffle maker is on and preheated. The cool-touch handles on this Secura Belgian waffle maker make it safe for you to turn the waffles when cooking. Additionally, you will love the locking clip feature that allows the batter to be evenly distributed while preventing leaking.
6. BLACK+DECKER 3-in-1 Waffle Maker
- Three Appliances in One - This handy cooking machine quickly goes from...
- Nonstick Reversible Cooking Plates - The removable nonstick grill...
- 180 Degree Hinge - The unique hinge doubles the available cooking...
- Adjustable Temperature Controls
- Multiple Servings - The 8x8” cooking surface has room for four...
Last on our list is this 3-in-1 waffle maker by Black+Decker. You can use it to grill, griddle and bake any meal. Additionally, the 180° hinge allows you to open up the machine to have a large cooking surface.
This waffle and sandwich maker has reversible plates that make cooking super easy. You can easily make breakfast foods like eggs and bacon on non-stick grill plates. In addition to the variable temperature settings, this waffle iron has grease runoff channels that help get rid of excess oils.
How Do You Choose the Best Waffle Maker With Removeable Plates?
1. Type of Waffles
It's important to ask yourself the type of waffles you want to make, Belgian or classic. Belgian waffles are fluffy, thick, crispy on the outside and moist inside. This design allows you to add berries, syrup and butter to the deep pockets.
Conversely, classic waffles are thin, crispy and have small pockets. This is mainly because classic waffle makers have thin plates. For this reason, go for a waffle maker based on the type of waffles that you prefer.
2. Quantity, Size and Shape
Quantity refers to the number of waffles you'd like to make simultaneously. This number will largely depend on the size of your family and how much time you have to make breakfast in the morning. Nonetheless, you will find that there are waffle irons that can make one, two or four waffles at the same time.
There are two things to consider when looking at the size of a waffle maker. The first is how much space you have on your countertop. For instance, if your kitchen is small, it would be better to go for a waffle maker that will help conserve the available space.
Secondly, it's essential to factor in the size of the waffle. Some waffle makers will allow you to make one big cake that can be cut into pieces, while others will bake up to 4 large Belgian waffles. Finally, remember that homemade waffles will not last as long since they don't have any additives.
The shape of your waffles will come down to your personal preference. Classic and Belgian waffle makers with removable plates often have a round or square shape. However, you can still find animal-shaped, heart-shaped, bowl-shaped and lolly waffle makers.
3. Plate Material
The waffle plates material is another important factor to consider. Check if the waffle plates have a non-stick coating as it helps remove the waffles easily. In addition, check if the non-stick coating is made of Teflon or eco-friendly ceramic. Eco-friendly ceramic is more durable, cooks faster and is super easy to clean.
4. Heat Distribution
The best waffle maker with removable plates provides even heat distribution. The last thing you want is a raw waffle inside after cooking. Additionally, you want to avoid burning your waffles.
Even heat distribution allows the classic and Belgian waffles to bake evenly. Therefore, check for waffle makers with good heat distribution reviews and even hot spots. Fortunately, all the waffle makers reviewed in this article will ensure your waffles are evenly cooked and tasty.
Considering the overall look and design is vital when picking out your ultimate waffle maker with removable plates. You also need to consider whether you want to make just waffles, cook eggs, or make sandwiches on the waffle maker. Finally, consider the controls on the machine and how easy they are to use.
Waffle makers have functions and other additional features depending on the brand you choose. For example, the temperature settings go from light to moderate and bold depending on the crust texture you prefer. In addition, check for the programmable functions on the control panel and whether disassembling the skillet is easy or not.
Modern waffle makers have different configurations that make the machine a versatile kitchen appliance. For instance, some waffle makers allow you to make jam and sausages on the machine. However, keep in mind that such functions will attract a higher price than a regular waffle maker.
Similarly, not all waffle makers with removable plates have a baking timer. The timer lets you pour the waffle ingredients before starting to bake, say at night, then you'll have a fresh and hot cake in the morning. Finally, some waffle makers will have specific functions like making sweet or gluten-free waffles.
Other functions depending on your personal preference include:
- Browning Controls - This determines the color and texture of the waffles, from light and fluffy to deep brown and extra crispy.
- Rotary Function - This feature ensures the batter is evenly distributed on the waffle plates. In turn, you get thick and fluffy waffles with only a little batter.
- No-drip Feature - The no-drip feature ensures that the batter does not drip as it flips in the waffle maker.
7. Ease of Cleaning
Batter often sits in the pockets and crevices of waffle plates. Despite the plates being removable, it may not be easy to clean off the batter completely. This will often depend on the interior material of the waffle maker.
You will also find that while some removable plates are dishwasher safe, others require handwashing. Therefore, be sure to check how easy it is to clean a waffle maker prior to purchasing.
8. Cost and Warranty
Waffle makers with removable plates come in a range of prices, depending on the make and features. This will be anywhere between $100-$200 and $300-$500 for high-end brands. For this reason, confirm that the waffle maker has a warranty guarantee in case of any defects.
How-to: Cleaning A Waffle Maker With Removable Plates
- Turn off the waffle maker and wait for it to cool down.
- Detach the waffle plates from the iron.
- Rinse off excess toppings or batter stuck in the crevices.
- Put the plates in a dishwasher along with your other plates and start the cycle.
- Ensure the plates are completely dry before putting them back.
If the removable plates are not dishwasher safe or don't have a dishwasher, use soap and warm water to handwash the plates.
If there's any batter in the waffle maker, clean it with damp clothing while avoiding the electrical parts. Leaving the toppings on the waffle housing could potentially damage the machine. In addition, avoid using harsh cleaning materials as they're also damaging.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do you remove plates from a waffle maker?
Waffle makers with removable plates have plate release buttons on the top and bottom of the waffle iron. Pressing the button lets you lift the waffle plates from the iron for washing or use different plates.
2. Which brand of waffle maker is best?
Considering the brand of the waffle maker with removable plates is important to you as a consumer. Notable and reputable brands have established trust and guaranteed quality, regardless of their price. Such brands in this department include Cuisinart, Krups, Secura, Hamilton Beach and Black+Decker, among others.
3. Should you grease your waffle maker?
Greasing your classic waffle maker is not mandatory, especially if it is non-stick. However, doing so helps increase its longevity. A quick solution is to dip a silicone basting brush in oil or melted butter and use it to grease the crevices and nooks of the waffle plates. In addition, you can use tissue paper in place of a silicone brush.
4. How do you keep waffles from sticking?
Waffles often stick on the plates if the butter or eggs are not enough. Fortunately, there are a few steps to prevent your fresh waffles from sticking on the plates. First, it's important to ensure that the removable plates are clean. Any build-up on the plates can cause the waffle batter to stick.
Greasing the surface of the waffle plates is also essential to prevent sticking. To do this, apply a light layer of non-stick spray to the plates. Additionally, you will not need to grease the plates when adding more batter unless you cook without eggs and butter.
Another tip is to coat the plates before every use, even if they have been advertised as non-stick. This is because solely relying on the non-stick coating results in early flaking and reduced performance. In turn, this will greatly reduce the lifespan of your waffle maker.
5. How long should you cook waffles?
Waffles take about 3-5 minutes to cook. Some of the waffle makers with removable plates reviewed above have a bleep or indicator light that lets you know when the waffle is ready. However, check for the produced steam if your waffle maker does not have this feature. If the steam has ceased, lift the lid to check if it's ready, but chances are the cooking is finished.
6. Should you flip waffles?
Whenever you pour batter on the waffle plates, the bottom side cooks first as it's the surface in contact with the plates. So flipping the waffles helps the uncooked batter stick to the plates, cooking it faster.
While some waffle makers with removable plates have this function, others do not. Nonetheless, this is not that big a factor since your waffles will come out the same whether they are flipped when cooking or not.
7. Can you make waffles with a pancake mix?
Yes. You can modify your pancake mix for use in the waffle iron. Below are a few steps to follow:
- Add water, sugar and butter into your pancake mix - Ideally, although the base ingredients are the same, pancake mix has fewer eggs, sugar and butter than waffle batter. In addition, it has more milk which makes the pancakes soft and fluffy.
- Separate the eggs and put the egg whites in one bowl - Take 1/4 tsp cream of tartar and add it to help stabilize the egg whites. Next, using a whisk, beat the egg whites till they're uniformly stiff and the soft peaks.
- Add the egg whites to your batter - Fold the egg whites into the batter until you can't see them anymore. This will help lighten the batter and retain beaten air in the egg whites.
8. How long should you preheat your waffle maker?
Similarly to baking in an oven, preheating your waffle maker is an important step for evenly cooked waffles. The preheating time varies depending on the brand. However, waiting for about 5-10 minutes is enough to get the waffle iron at the right temperature for cooking.
Some machines will have a timer or indicator light to let you know that the waffle iron is hot enough, while other waffle makers don't. In addition, keep in mind that skipping this step will result in soggy and unevenly cooked waffles.
Waffle makers with removable plates are a great addition to any kitchen. They are simple to use, versatile and easy to clean compared to a traditional waffle maker. In addition, although the ultimate waffle maker will depend on your personal preferences, features like heat distribution and functions cut across the board, hence important to consider.
The waffle makers reviewed in this article are durable, high quality and functional. Whether you are going for classic or Belgian waffles, these manufacturers ensure that you end up with fresh and delicious waffles. In addition, you can switch out the waffle plates for pancake or sandwich plates depending on the brand you choose.