William H. McRaven said, "if you want to change the world, start by making your bed. If you make your bed every morning, you will have accomplished the first task of the day. It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task and another. And if you have a miserable day, you will come home to a bed that's made, and a made bed encourages you that tomorrow will be better". Making the bed in the morning may not be everyone's cup of tea, but think about McRaven's words; maybe that will encourage you to learn how to make a bed like a hotel.
Hotels take pride in the luxury they offer their customers. You can see this in how they make their beds and the rooms in general. But, of course, that extra layer of coziness and comfort is just on another level.
But you can take that comfort home if you want. You can learn how to make a bed like a hotel and enjoy it in the comfort of your bedroom. This will make you sleep like a baby and not toss and turn and stay awake all night.
Please keep reading to know how hotels make their cozy and comfortable beds.
- Tips for Making a Bed Like a Pro
- How to Make a Bed Like a Hotel Style
- Frequently Asked Questions on How to Make a Bed Like a Hotel
Tips for Making a Bed Like a Pro
Let's look at some things you need to know to make your bed like a hotel bed.
a). Maintain Simplicity
You can be simple and elegant at the same time! Sometimes less is more. The less you put on your bed, the better. This includes colors, patterns and accessories like pillows. Do not try so hard only to end up ruining what you've set. Everything in moderation does a perfect job.
b). Pay Attention to Texture
A bed adorned entirely in the same texture is quite acceptable, but adding a few distinct textures (such as a cable knit blanket or pillow) helps bring depth and character to a bed without overpowering it and making it appear overly busy.
c). Using All-White Is Okay
Using a single hue (or similar shades of white) makes a bed appear "clean." This is why many hotels are going completely white on their bedding so that guests don't have to wonder if the bed is clean or not.
There are no stains, as they can readily see! Furthermore, when using all white sheets, comforter, duvet, and other items, you can easily bleach them when necessary. The white bedding creates a clean and fresh look and feel.
d). Add a High-Quality Mattress Enhancer
Adding a mattress enhancer makes your bed even more comfortable. It is placed directly on top of the mattress. It adds comfort and luxury and makes the bed look more appealing.
e). Flat Sheets Vs. Fitted Sheets
When making a luxurious hotel-like bed, using high-quality flat sheets helps achieve the best results. Instead of fitted sheets, hotel-style bedding integrates premium hotel bedding practices such as using an enlarged bottom, flat sheet that they tuck snuggly around the mattress to use what is known as hospital corners.
The flat-top sheet is tucked in tightly on both sides and at the foot of the bed. The top of the sheet is folded over six inches before being tucked into both sides of the mattress.
f). Use High-End Pillow Cases
A high-end pillowcase is the epitome of sleep luxury. Because your face and headrest on your pillowcase every night, this aspect of your luxury bedding ensemble deserves extra attention.
If you want to match your high-quality sheets with the same luxury hotel bedding, the top hotels use beautiful 100 percent cotton or Egyptian cotton pillowcases. When you rest your head on a high-end pillowcase, you can enjoy the greatest in comfort.
g). Add Luxury Sleeping Pillows
You sure need luxury pillows to make a hotel-like bed. Hotels typically use thick plush pillows, making their beds look and feel luxurious. However, you need good quality pillows and keep them enough to have all options when you want to sleep.
This ensures you get extremely comfortable for a luxurious hotel experience. An addition of two to four pillows will ensure your comfort. When adding throw pillows, ensure that you get high-quality ones and use linen pillow covers.
h). Find the Thread Count
The crisp sheets you slide into at five-star hotels clock in at an approximately 300-thread-count mark. In addition, they tend to be Egyptian cotton which is most breathable and keeps you cool even when it's hot.
How to Make a Bed Like a Hotel Style
Now you understand what you need to make your bed look and feel luxurious, like hotel beds. So, let's go through the process and ensure you can get your bed to look like those of luxury hotels.
1. Prepare the Bed
- To make your bed luxurious, like a hotel bed, you will need to start by removing everything from the bed.
- Get clean bedding. You want the best out of your bed, so you must use clean bedsheets, a duvet cover, pillow covers, sleeping pillows and throw pillows, a light blanket and everything else you need for the bed.
- Don't forget to clean your mattress first. You can vacuum it to remove all dust, dirt, dust mites, debris, and odors that cause allergies, affecting your quality of sleep.
2. Making the Bed
- Start with one flat sheet. Place it on the mattress and spread it well. Ensure that you pull it as tight as possible and tuck the ends and the sides but leave the corners hanging out.
- Lift the edge of the bedsheet to form a 45-degree angle. Pull and tuck the hanging fabric tight and do the same with the leftover fabric. This will form hospital corners.
- Spread another flat sheet on top of the first one. Ensure that it reaches the headboard. Ensure that the sheet drapes evenly on both sides of the bed. Lay the bed sheet with the finished side facing towards the mattress.
- Lay a light blanket on top of the sheet, and align it to match the bedsheet. You can use a cotton or linen blanket.
- Flatten the blanket and pull the corners to meet those of the sheet. Fold the portion of the light blanket towards the headboard and tuck it in.
- Use a third flat sheet and spread it above the blanket. Lay the flatbed sheet with the finished side facing down. Align the top sheet to match that of the other one.
- Sandwich the third sheet between the second sheet and the blanket, then fold down the top edge of the sheet over the top edge of the light blanket.
- Take the portion of the top flat sheet that extends past the blanket and fold it back to go between the second sheet and the blanket.
- Next, you need to take the top sheet towards the headboard and fold it down towards the foot of the bed. Fold the remaining portion of the second and the third sheet back to the top of the blanket and the third sheet. The second sheet gets on top of the two layers.
- Depending on how many pillows you intend to use, you can fold down your sheets. Your pillows start where the sheets end.
- Now you need to fold in the corners. Take all the three layers, the two flat sheets and blanket and pull taught, then flatten them at the foot of the bed.
- It's now time to place the comforter or duvet cover on the bed. Lay it about three inches from the headboard. Do this by throwing it on the bed, but don't let go. This makes the comforter or duvet cover remain fluff.
- Fold the upper part of the comforter back in a rectangular shape to leave space for pillows.
- It's pillow time! First, put the pillows in the right pillowcases and fluff as needed. You can arrange the pillows as you wish. The number is also up to you.
- If you love using more pillows, you can add, but ensure that you use the same number on both sides of the bed. Adding accent pillows also adds style, so place it on the bed if you have a long one.
- Opting for Euro shams which are square pillows, also adds elegance and style to your bedroom to make it look like a hotel room.
- Once the pillows are set, you can unfold the duvet cover or the comforter to meet the pillows.
- If you like, you can add a throw blanket over the comforter. Fold the throw blanket into a rectangle and lay it to cover the bottom third of the bed. However, don't let it hang over the foot of the well-made bed, as that will make it look uninviting.
- Now your hotel-quality bed is ready, and you don't even want to lie on it from the fear of spoiling it. You can sit on your chair instead and admire it from a distance. But don't worry, you will make it again, now that you know how to make a bed like hotel staff.
Frequently Asked Questions on How to Make a Bed Like a Hotel
1. How do hotels make their beds so fluffy?
Hotel sheets are usually 300-thread count percale sheets made from Egyptian or Pima cotton. High thread count spec is a gimmick for marketing. All you need for the luxury feel and a good night's sleep is a 300T in high-quality cotton bed sheets.
2. What kind of mattresses do 5-star hotels use?
Upscale hotels use luxury mattresses that are traditional innerspring, hybrid or memory foam mattresses.
Featured Image: Hospitalitynet